2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 2:38 PM by Ross Doyle

Alter Equations Using API

Ross Doyle

Hello,

I have had some success adding equations to my parts and assemblies using the API but I am trying to now alter some of the equations to a new value for existing parts where the equation already exists as a global variable.  I have been unable to find any documentation on the way to do this.  I am sure it is through the IEquationMgr interface but I am not sure which function.

When I try to rewrite over the existing equation through this line where beltwidth is a predetermined integer:

swEqMgr.Equation(0) = """belt""=" & BeltWidth

Then the result in the model tree is "belt"=???

Does anyone the correct function for changing the global variable or any suggestions on a better way to tackle this problem?

Thanks,

Ross

• Re: Alter Equations Using API
          Patrick Rainsberry

I have done this in the past by simply deleting the existing equation and replacing it.  It is the only way I can figure to do it with IEquationMgr.

As long as you know the index of global variable in EquationMgr it is pretty easy to replace.  In some cases I simply delete all global variable equations set the new values and then re-write the text strings for the equation mgr.

• Re: Alter Equations Using API
              Ross Doyle

Thanks Patrick!  So simple, yet effective.  I am sure it gets more complicated if there are multiple global variables but in my case there is only 1 that drives a few equations so it seems to work seamlessly to use your method.

For reference for anyone else needing help with this method here is the code that I used:

Dim swEqMgr As SldWorks.EquationMgr

swEqMgr = swDoc.GetEquationMgr

swEqMgr.Delete(0)

swEqMgr.Add2(0, """belt""=" & beltwidthint, True)

swEqMgr.EvaluateAll()

swDoc.EditRebuild3()