8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 3:36 PM by Andrew Schutte

ePDM, Configurations, and BOM's

Kevin Stickels

OK folks, bear with me a moment or two...

We have many sheet metal parts composed of a base "flat" part then we have configurations (defined by their respective part numbers) of the different styles. Then we add a "paint" specification which identifies the part pclor for a specific configuration. For example; (simple BOM?)

P/N 42600000 - final product/ painted

74000000 - made from sheet metal

123456 - Raw Material

12345SPEC - Paint Specification

Currently, the engineer is creating the 42600000 as a "part" configuration then attempting to attach the "in process" configuration  (740') - sheet metal no paint. which is made of the raw material (steel sheet). Then the paint specificaiton is added (attached) and becomes the 426' number. Engineering is trying to avoid making all these sub-assemblies and I am not sure if that is a particularly good route.

Add to this, we are using ePDM to develop the BOM's for the assemblies.  Without modeling the "paint" does anyone have some insight as to a best practice for this situation? I came from companies that did model "paint" and "grease" etc...The only other thought I had was to eliminate configuraitons altogether and just make all assemblies (and their config's) stand alone. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Re: ePDM, Configurations, and BOM's
          Raghavendra Bhagwan

Have you thought about using the Named BOM ? I think that is pretty neat because, You can track the versions and send the BOM for approval.

Corey Hinman

Kevin,

I build our BOMs 100% in PDM prior to making their way into our ERP system, so there are a lot of items that are purchased parts that we may not model (100' of wire) that are then used to make components used in an assembly (2' of wire).

Originally I started using viritual files, but I've found "empty" solidworks parts work better. I have a template where I create and empty part, enter the number, fill out the data card and check it in. I can then either insert into assembly, or just paste as reference.

I don't use part configurations like you've mentioned. 740000 would just be a part, in the needed condition, and the raw material it comes from would be pasted as ref to make it's bill of material. The top level assembly is a separate animal.

P/N 4260000 - Is Parent Assembly File

• 7400000 Part file
              • 123456 Raw Material - Pasted as reference to Parent Assembly
            • 12345Spec Part File - Could be pasted as reference to Parent Assembly, or be an empty solidworks part
              Adrian Velazquez

Kevin, the way we do it 42600000 would be the configuration the rest would just be Properties or Variables of that Part Configuration since they are just materials and or processes. We don't show Pait in the BOMs they are specified on a WorkOrder/Traveler or on the Parts Drawing as notes.

Greg Rupp

Just thinking outside the box... why not paste as reference? Chances are you'll have a pdf or word doc. specifying your paint/finish. It will show up on the BOM, you'll get a "where used" reference and it's searchable.

Another option is just make the finish a variable like Adrian mentioned. The value can be configuration specific (if needed), it's searchable, it shows up on the BOM (need to add to your BOM columns) and you don't have to worry about the boms using old versions of the "part" (aka paint).

How do you handle your paint/finish in your production system? is it a step in the routing? is it a BOM component? do you inventory your finish?

Andrew Schutte

Kevin,

The part/configuration/BOM steps you are describing is something typically handled outside of SolidWorks, in an ERP/MRP system. I usually find it inefficient to specify how something gets made (laser, shear, water jet, mill, wire EDM burn etc.) in the SolidWorks model, because that can change, and is usually up to purchasing/internal manufacturing. It's usually advisable to model what you want, and allow purchasing/manufacturing to procure it for you. As for the BOM sync issues, www.smoothlogics.com has a great ERP/MRP product that offers seamless integrating between SolidWorks and their ERP/MRP COUNTERPART. The SolidWorks Add-In handles property input, collects and stores parent/child relationships (BOM info) revisions, and allows engineering to place orders to purchasing. It’s part of the comprehensive COUNTERPART ERP/MRP software solution, designed for engineer-to-order companies.