9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2014 2:18 AM by Jared Conway

Checking simulation studies into Vault

Chuck Webb

I have run several studies on an assembly. When I check the assembly into the vault, the studies are not listed as items to be check in.

I want to clear space on my hard drive (I am using a small SSD) but I am afraid I will lose the results if I delete lingering simulation files from my work in progress folder.

The files I am concerned about are very large .CWR and .GEN files that are lingering in my working folder. Are these files neccessary to view the results or are these left over from unsuccessful/incomplete studies? Is the data from my successful studies imbedded in the assembly file?

Thank you

• Re: Checking simulation studies into Vault
          Jared Conway

you only need to keep the CWR file

are you using ePDM or wPDM?

Chris Pellegrino

Yes, they go in, but I cannot get them out. We are also using WPDM and the .cwr files saved in, but now I want to get one back out to look the results again and it is not included as a child in the checkout window with all the other solid files. If I try to get it individually, I can't do that either. Windows requires it to open in an application, and choosing SolidWorks doesn't do it. Choosing notepad just hangs (I know they're big files but I waited 20 minutes.) If I try to reload from the PDM file explorer, I don't get the option to get an earlier revision. My question is, does this even work? What is the process?

Thank you.

Jared Conway

hi chris, first thought is when you check them out, disable the option "open now", that will put the file in your working directory. when you open the solidworks file the results should be available.

it has been awhile since i played around with pdm workgroup. i do believe that if you checked in the simulation results with the file, they should be available when you check them out. could you set up a real simple cantilever beam problem and take some screenshots of your check in and check out screens?

on the earlier version, i don't think i ever played around with that. what are you trying to pull out? an earlier version of the solidworks file and the cwr?

Jared Conway

Hi Chris, we did some testing here at Hawk Ridge. If you have the option enabled, for check in and check out it will recognize the CWR and check it in or check it out appropriately. But you need to disable the option to "open now" for the CWR. This sounds like a good enhancement request to be filed.

Regarding previous revs, we are seeing what you're seeing, you can't pull the CWR automatically. You need to do it manually. ePDM handles this better but this bug/limitation in workgroup should be reported to SolidWorks. If you want to give tech support a call, they will be able to help you with that.

If you're still having troubles, feel free to contact me at jared@hawkridgesys.com and I can put you in touch with our PDM team.

Chris Pellegrino

Thank you Jared for the reply. I have been away from this part of the project for a bit and was not tracking this conversation. Yes, I missed that little Open Now checkbox at the bottom right - darn these nice big modern monitors. Looks I can get what I need now.

Thanks again.

Chris Pellegrino

I am going to continue on this thread since it is relevant. I have been successul at saving and pulling studies to/from PDM now that I know about the Open Now checkbox. (We are on 2014 SP2 but still Workgroup PDM.) However, the file behaves erratically. I cannot reliably get access to the results. Examples: I just recently saved in a file with several studies, along with all the studies. I pulled it back out with the studies I wanted to look at again. I had the CAD model open when I pulled the first study back out that wanted to look at. It did not give me access to the results. I closed the model, reopened it, then it gave me access to the results. I then took another study out of the vault and the same thing - no access to the results, so I close the file again, but I saved it first. Now upon opening it I cannot get access to results. I have also restarted SolidWorks to no avail. So I continue with one of my tasks which is to duplicate a study so I can make a small change and run it. I duplicated the study I can't get results back. I mesh the new study but it tells me it can't make a temporary file and I should change the Simulation folder location. I have received this message before, also after pulling studies out of PDM.

There may be a workaround, but there shouldn't have to be. I don't have time to try and make this work; I don't even really have time to go through the forums and type this message in, but this behavior is apparently typical and needs to be fixed. Is there something I can do to alleviate this?

- Chris P.

Jared Conway

make your default simulation directory your working directory

and make sure the cwr file exists before you open the file

if your cwr directory is different the second time you open the file or the file isn't there you can break the connection and it may not be recoverable

also be careful about renaming files or using pack and go or trying to check results in the vault separate from the files