1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 2, 2013 9:37 AM by Per Engberg

Quenching and material properties

Alessandro Tornincasa

Hi,

I'm doing some penetration tests on a part by using a vise to compress it. This is the vise:

41602191.JPG

Notice the small rectangular protrusions on this part that are meant to locally push the material and penetrate it.

This is the part to be penetrated:;

234.jpg

I've modeled some split lines and applied a total 3000 N force.

When I'm assigning to this plate a steel material that didn't undergo any heat treatment the results correlate with the practical test (1.6 mm penetration).

I'm performing linear static analysis.

When I'm assigning to this plate a steel that had a quenching treatment (resulting in 50-54 HRC Rockwell hardness), results of the pratical test are much different (0,02 mm).

Now my question is: what properties of the material change after quenching ?

I made some research in metallurgy forums and it looks like quenching doesn't affect elasticity modulus but only tensile and ultimate strength.

How can I reflect the "improved" material properties of the material with FEA and get close to my practical test ?

Thanks.

Alex

• Re: Quenching and material properties
          Per Engberg

A linear FEM analysis is only applicable in the elastic range of the material, leaving no permanent deformation. As you have noted, quenching doesn't affect the elastic modulus and thus won't influence your FEM analysis other than in the interpretation of the results. In your case I would have expected the harder (stronger) material to correlate better to the model than the softer (weaker), this to me indicates problems with the FEM model.