Thanks for bringing this to up. Some questions that come to mind for me would be: Could this be related to the inability to order actions in specific order (introduced in a previous version) so perhaps the task is running first? Or would you say that the PDF Machine is simply not getting the updates to its local files but is occurring after the variable change?
Hi Peer -
It might be or it may need time to finish the task before starting the next...
I'm exploring the option of somehow putting a wait in the script so the set variable command can finish before the PDF creation begins. The fact that it works on the local machine leads me to believe it might be timing.
p.s. kind of defeats the purpose of us buying a seat of SW to offload the PDF creation
Joy, my apologies for the radio silence on this one. I want to study what you've done but won't have the time to dedicate to it until this weekend.
I've done this before, just not exactly.
Hi again Joy,
Made time since this is for you pal!
I have had issues with the convert task working consistently between machines and I like the idea of moving it to a dedicated machine. Good call.
My solution was to add a secondary automatic transition to a dummy state which would kick off a dispatch vbs script and wait 1500ms (1.5s) to allow all the background stuff to settle.
Without the wait, the program would step all over itself on different CPU machines. Bad part was the problem was not always consistent so it would behave in about 3 distinct ways.
The only way I've found to handle it:
- Create dummy state with transition to it allowing only %.slddrw files through
- Create a file called "waiter.vbs" in notepade and enter this code "wscript.sleep 1500"
- Create a dispatch to execute a shell execute with an argument of the "waiter.vbs"
- Set the dispatch to "Halt execution of script until Shell command is completed."
Adjust the wscript.sleep "1500" parameter to adjust the time the program sleeps. The minimum I was able to get away with was 500ms or 0.5s.
Please let me know if this resolves it.
I'm note sure I follow you completely... Take a look in our Dropbox folder and look at the Prototype workflow and you'll understand the challenge... Pay particular attention to the transition actions when moving from In Design WIP to Pending Approval.
My hope was to embed the wait in the 'Advanced Scripting Option' of the PDF generation task.
(I put a video in there too)
Thanks for taking a look and BTW, no urgency...the funny thing is I tested it on a test vault and it didn't exhibit the problem initially until I looked more closely...
I will take a look and get back to you. Thanks for uploading it to dropbox.
Check dropbox for two things:
- Added a "convert to pdf task solution.docx" file. I am thinking it is a drawing not rebuilding when opening issue.
- Updated your Word file "...AddInIssue.docx" with my thoughts on the resolution.
I have to say you provided some very well prepared troubleshooting guides.
So review my updates and let me know the results of these.