7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2013 3:46 PM by Adam Baker

Help w/ 3D Cut Extrude

Adam Baker

Im using projection curves and 3D sketches to get a cut extrude on a part. I know that I have to define an extrusion direction, so I'm using another sketch to define that angle from each of the cuts I need to have made.

Most of my cuts are going fine, I'm getting exactly what I want.

However, I'd discovered a couple instances where Im getting something really weird that isnt giving me what I need, and I dont know how to deal w/ it. The most common cause seems to come from trying to create a cut extrude that falls across the boundery between 2 lofted features. The 2nd instance I found last night, is on a curved surface, but it was all created within a single lofted feature, but I'm having the same problem.

I've attached screen shots I took of what its doing.

The first 3 images is teh cut being done on the surfaces that fall across 2 lofts. The first 2 show the cut preview, and the massive hump and value. And then the 3rd shows the finished cut.

The last 2 images show the cut made on the surface that was created in a single loft, so there's no boundary, but there is a curvature to the surface. The first is while I was trying to create the cut. You can see how the preview is showing a large hump instead of a nice flat cut. The 2nd image is what the resulting cut (or lack there of) looks like.

• Re: Help w/ 3D Cut Extrude
          Adam Baker

I cant figure out how to edit my original post, so I'll put it here.

I did some searching and found mention of using the offfset from surface command. I tried it using the original image that I used to create the projection curve and 3D sketch and it worked, but I need the cut to be more normal to the surface. So then I tried Offset from Surface using the 3D sketch, and it worked to a point, giving the best results so far, but its still not quite right. I got the cut, but also ended up w/ a massive dip inside the cut. I've attached a screenshot of the resulting cut.

• Re: Help w/ 3D Cut Extrude
            Jesse Robbers

Maybe using surfaces would be better/easier to get the desired results? Use 2D sketch(es) to split line the surface you want to cut to establish the boundary line. Then use surface tools to move, off-set, delete, etc... until it's good to go. IOr creating a surface that represents your bounding area for the pocket type cut to be used as cut with surface should work well.

Can you upload the part file?