1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 10:14 PM by Jared Conway

Simulating Vacuum filtration

Harry Tuazon

Hello,

Does anyone know how to define the boundary conditions for a vacuum filtration study? I am trying to analyze the proper wall thickness of a system that is undergoing evacuation (such as a vacuum flask). I know to I have to define the outlet but how do I define the condition inside the chamber (which is required to start the analysis).

• Re: Simulating Vacuum filtration
          Jared Conway

Harry, so you have an enclosure filled with fluid and then you want to evacuate all the fluid and find out how it affects the walls? If so, I don't think Flow Simulation is going to work for you because you need to have one inlet and one outlet. (Or no inlets/outlets at all) You might be able to rig something up where you have your component in a larger environment and use the larger environment to pull from the smaller one but I think that is a real stretch.

If all you really care about is looking at the thickness of the wall (assuming stress/deflection), why not go straight to FEA and apply a pressure condition on the inside face of the model to simulate what you think is happening when you're pulling the fluid out? In the end, that will remove the step of having to run the flow and then transfer the BCs to FEA. (In Flow, the walls are rigid and they don't know what the pressure is doing to them)