3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 11:28 PM by John Dockstader

Working with SW models use in more than one drawings with different data cards information.

THOMAS DUPRE

We are creating a SW. part and give it a M00000 number for the model name. We will be creating a SW drawing that reference that model but with a D0000 number for the drawing name. We fill out the model date card information in PDM to update the SW part /assembly “File  Properties” the drawing title block will use.

But not the material data field. We will use this model as a REF to more than one SW drawing file.  With the material data field being the only thing that is difference .

Meaning that we need on SW model to be used in more than one SW drawing because the model geometry will not change.

Only the information in the title block for the material to that part/assembly will be difference between the new SW drawing with difference numbers.

We do not want to fill out more than one data for each SW model. We want to only change the SW drawing with the material data field in the drawing card.

I hope this give you a picture of what I need with the lease amount of work to fill the information and not to be making any new SW model configuration.

If we need to make configuration in the SW model I will need the new SW drawing data card to set only the material data field for me.

• Re: Working with SW models use in more than one drawings with different data cards information.
          John Dockstader

A model can have Custom properties and Configuration Specific properties.  It sounds to me like you want to create a model with multiple configurations.  The only thing that changes in each config would be the material.  The "model name" variable would be a Custom Property that applies to all configurations (M00000) while the material would be configuration specific.  Each Drawings will reference a different configuration and therefore a different material.

In EPDM, the model data card will pull the information from the Custom and Configuration Specific Properties so you won't have to enter it multiple times if you put it into the part file to begin with.  The card will have a tab for each material.  If you title the Configurations by material, they will be the names of the tabs.  The data cards for the Drawing file for each configuration can be set up to also populate with the data from the drawing file custom properties that is pulled from the part file properties.

• Re: Working with SW models use in more than one drawings with different data cards information.
              THOMAS DUPRE

John,  I like what you said & I do agree,  But do I have to use Configuration?  if so how can I get the EPDM data card to fill out my file properties for me.  Now when I create a configuration in my SW model it add a tab in my part/assembly data card with the name of the configuration name.  How do I get the Drawing file to populate with the data for the drawing file custom properties that need to be pulled from the part file properties.

John Dockstader

Create a part template file with the Custom Property "Model Number" and the Configuration Specific Property "Material".  When the user creates a file with this template, they can create multiple configurations of the same model with different materials - say Brass and Steel.  I used the Custom Properties Tab Builder so my users can pick from a list of approved materials.  On the drawing, use $PRPSHEET:"Material" which will pull the Material of the Configuration used.  The BOM table should also fill out correctly which is how I'm pulling that info from the model.

For populating the data from the model onto the drawing card in EPDM, I'll point you to the explanation on pages 407-408 of the EPDM Admin Guide 2013 (search for "$PRP" in other years).

John