2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 6:55 PM by Jerry Steiger

Stress not directly proportionate to Strain? Linear static stress analysis

Ivy A

Hi!

I would like to ask about the relationships between strain, stress and displacement.

I have 4 models: Original, Triangle, Circle & Spiderweb.

I did a linear static stress analysis.

What I am confused about, is why the max von mises stress results don't really tally with that of strain?

In the strain graph, the black line indicates that the green, red and blue lines overlap.

Shouldn't the stress graph match up with the strain graph?

Your help is much appreciated!:)

Thank you..

aa.jpg

c.jpg

b.jpg

• Re: Stress not directly proportionate to Strain? Linear static stress analysis
          Jared Conway

How and where are you making these measurements?

Can you post pictures of the loading condition?

And just to make sure I'm clear, all that you are really expecting is for the spacing between the results to be the same for stress, strain and displacement. Ie, of they are all on top of each other, they should be the same for all. If one is offset above from another, it should be the same for all.

• Re: Stress not directly proportionate to Strain? Linear static stress analysis
            Jerry Steiger

Ivy,

I'm not sure how SolidWorks Simulation labels the strains, but Max Strain sounds to me like the Maximum Principal Strain. Depending on your models, I can imagine that the Maximum Principal Strain might be very close to the same for some of your models when the von Mises stress would not be, since the von Mises stress is dependent on the Minimum Principal Stress, which might be different. If SolidWorks Simulation gives you the option of plotting von Mises Strain, then I would certainly expect that to match up with the von Mises Stress for a linear analysis.

Jerry S.