AnsweredAssumed Answered

question on procedure for saving flattened parts as .dxf files for burning with 3rd party software

Question asked by Dave Krum on Mar 23, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 by Dave Krum

Hi again all,

Another question this time regarding exporting parts from models to .dxf format for flamecut burning with 3rd party software.  I've attached what I hope is everything that is needed to look at model.  I followed a youtube tutorial video to make a 5 piece steel rolled plate elbow (1/4" thick) with a 10' radius and 10' diameter rolled plate.  At my company, we make elbows for ductwork runs and we've always layed out the elbow segments in cad pretty much manually or with an old DOS software called Transpack.  With the tutorial I followed, the elbow assembly is pretty cool and straight forward but just trying to figure out the best way to export EACH segment as a dxf file.  In my model, there are 5 segments.  I split the elbow assembly into the 5 segments and each was saved as a file but when I open each individual .sldprt file up for the segments and try to save them as .dxf files, they will appear in cad still somewhat as a 3d plate with double edges (i.e. not perfectly true flat state that I can use accurately for burning my shape).  I did change the view of the file after flattening it to a top view state which I thought would solve the problem.  The flats are dead on but the contours on the curve have double lines.  The tutorial on youtube that I followed for reference is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faHEoBeOdIA&list=FLVx2uhAFXbghRIagzgBT3Jw

Any comments are appreciated.  Thanks once again.

Dave

Outcomes