1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 1:08 AM by Jared Conway

SW 2012 - Fibrous Scaffold Modeling Issus

Lyman Woollens

Hello,

I am currently working on a project that requires measuring the shear stresses in a small region of a fibrous sheet. I have been attempting to model the sheet's response to fluid flow using solidworks but have been experiencing great difficulty in doing this. It is a rectangular sheet of randomly spun fibers 1 fiber thick. I need to measure the shear stress given a specific mass flow rate. Unfortunately, it seems as thought an external study is not possible in Solidworks 2012, the FloXpress Simulation only allows for internal studies with lids and such?? Is there any way around this? With an internal flow I must build a box around the sheet and pass fluid through it orthogonally. Also, selecting the inside face of the lids seems to be impossible after building the box that encloses the fibrous sheet.

Any advice would be of great help. I thank you sincerely.

If any clarification is needed please ask!

Woollens

• Re: SW 2012 - Fibrous Scaffold Modeling Issus
          Jared Conway

FloXpress is limited to internal analysis. If you want an external analysis, you've come up with the workaround. Use a section view or "select other" to get at the lids.

For FloXpress, you're also going to get stuck on outputs, shear isn't available for FloXpress.

Overall for your problem, are you planning on modeling all of the fibers? That probably isn't going to be computationally effective. We nornally handle something like this with a porous medium but you won't learn what you want from that method.

Also, are you expecting the sheet to deform from the fluid interaction? That also is outside the realm of Flow Simulation.