7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2013 10:12 AM by Tim Webb

Change Default Warnings for New Groups and Users

Sally Hoo

Is there a way to change the default setting to not have any stop warnings enabled when creating a new group or user?  I prefere to manage all warnings through my "all users" group rather than through individual groups and users.

• Re: Change Default Warnings for New Groups and Users
          Tim Webb

I have never seen a default setting that would apply to all groups BUT it is possible for new users to inherit settings from an existing user. You could setup a "Template User" with the settings you prefer with Warnings enabled/disabled and inherit these settings on every new user created.

I was thinking user but typing group. I updated the post.

Hope this helps

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

Sally Hoo

These are the defaults I was talking about and that I would like to disable: http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/EnterprisePDM/FileExplorer/r_sharing_error_message.htm.

I wasn't aware that you can set up template users/groups.  I've previously tried copying and pasting (basically exporting and re-importing groups) and noticed that none of the settings get imported (just the name gets imported but none of the users, folder permissions, workflow permissions etc.).  How do you create the tempalte you're talking about?

Tim Webb

Yes, those warnings are configured per user and per group on the warnings tab of the user or group properties.

I recommend to manage all of these warnings in the groups so you never have to worry about the individual users.

If you want to manage these warnings at the user level, then you can try this (I try to avoid this):

I had to black out the user names...

step 1.jpgstep 2.jpgstep 3.jpg

Sally Hoo

Hi Tim,

I'm not sure if I'm making my question clear.  I don't want to manage at the individual user level... I only want to manage warnings at the group level (and even then, only a select few groups).  The problem is that whenever I create a new user or a new group, PDM be default enables those two "file is open in another application" stop warnings.  In order to keep managing all my warnings at the levels that I want, then every time I create a new group or user, I need to remember to go in and uncheck those two warnings.  Not terrible, but also definitely a pain to do.

Tim Webb

Good morning Sally,

Your question was clear, I just didn't do a good job communicating with complete information.

Ok, I am not aware of a way to disable that setting automatically for all new users or groups. Soooo...the approach I have used is as I mentioned in my last post but I didn't include what I do with groups. Here is the complete setup:

1. Set all existing group permissions to disable/enable the "warnings" according to your preference.
                          2. Create a "Template" group and enable the setting "Add new users automatically to this group"
                          3. Disable/Enable all "warnings" according to your preference in the "Template" group.
                          4. Create a "Template" user that will contain the permissions you want other new "users" to inherit when they are created which includes disabling the "warnings" you referred to. My last post contains the information on doing that.
                          5. Whenever you add a new user to EPDM, use the "Copy permissions and settings from:" and select the "Template" user. The new user will then be automatically added to the "Template" group without the "warnings" and will have inherited the "Template" user permissions ALSO without the "warnings".

This process will reset all the warnings for all your existing groups, create a template user and group without the warnings you don't want, and automatically add/inherit those disabled warnings for all new users.

Do you think this will work?

I hope this helps you,

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

Sally Hoo

Thanks for your input, Tim.  I think that approach will work for new users, but since there's no option to "copy permisson" for an existing group, I don't the strategy is fooloprrof.  In any case, I've found it's about the same amount of work going through the extra steps of using user templates as it is to just uncheck those two boxes, so I've pretty much accepted there's no easy button here.  Kind of frustrating that PDM gets to choose what the defaults are and there's no way to change them.