6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2013 2:09 PM by Andrew Dvorak

EPDM Dispatch Custom Property

Todd Becker

Here is my issue...

I am bringing in legacy data that used the custom property "description". The new data card in EPDM  uses the custom property "f_descript".  How in dispatch can I transefer the legacy custom property to the new custom property?

• Re: EPDM Dispatch Custom Property
          Joy Garon

Todd,

Before going down the dispatch route, have you considered mapping the variable to the files custom property?

Joy

Todd Becker

I currently have a dispatch setup to rename the legacy parts to the new naming scheme.  Just trying to figure out how to pass the old custom property to the new custom property.

Per your suggestion I did go into the variables and map "Description" as CustomProperty to f_descript

No luck so far.

Joy Garon

Todd,

Without seeing your files and data card, I'm kind of shooting in the dark.

Does your legacy file only have the old custom property description? What does the mapping to the EPDM Variable f_descript look like?

variablemap.jpg

Todd Becker

Joy,

Yes, my legacy part does have the custom property "Description" in it.

FORUM - custprop.jpg

Joy Garon

Okay -

So you are trying to move the value from the custom property Description to the custom property f_descript in the SolidWorks files?

May I ask why?

One other question - are these legacy file still outside the vault? If so, I have a tool that can rename the property Description to f_descript for all files in a selected folder.

Private message me your email...

Joy

Andrew Dvorak

Joy,

I am very interested in the picture you include here. I see you have two attributes (Description and Description1) mapped to the ePDM Description variable as custom properties for sldprt, sldasm and slddrw. Can you explain how well this works for you?

The reason I ask, is that when I was setting up our vault and variables for our Swiss company and ourselves, I had several overlapping properties that seemed to interfere with each other when I did like your example above. Besides multiple attributes of variable Description, for the ePDM Number variable I had the attributes Number and Artikelnummer set up as custom properties in sldprt, sldasm and slddrw. Our Swiss counterparts set up a property in SW models that use Number, and then make Artikelnummer equal to XX.NumberY where the X and Y are additional property values. When checked into the vault everything appeared to be working OK, but then sometimes the attribute Artikelnummer would appear in the place of Number. When I tried to search on Artikelnummer using the XX's I got nothing, but when searching for the same thing in Number (which shouldn't have the XXs) I got my listing.

I'm supposing it's mostly my misunderstanding, but how can I determine whan ePDM is working with a single attribute of a variable vs all attributes of a variable. Since I was getting varying results I ended up deleting the Artikelnummer from the Number variable and setting it up as a separate variable. Now I'm dealing with getting the model properties updated to the new ePDM variable.

Best regards,

Andy Dvorak