4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 12:58 AM by Jared Conway

Thermal Simulation using Radiation

Aadil Rafiq

Hello,

I want to simulate the effect of radiation on a plate (raising temperature) and then its effect on the air surrounding it (Convection).

Is there a way to do so in Solidworks, however I know a little bit about thermal simulation.

• Re: Thermal Simulation using Radiation
          Chris Michalski

The Flow Simulation is an add-in package with a separate cost and maintenance.  With that module available it is fairly easy to setup.  If you have the SW Flow Simulation package the tutorials are the best place to start.

Aadil Rafiq

Thanks for replying Chris,

I have got the Flow Simulation, however I cannot find any suitable tutorials.
              Is it okay I post the picture of the setup which I want to simulate. Thanks !!

Kevin De Smet

There should be some good documentation installed that comes with Flow Simulation, the directory should be something along these lines

C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SolidWorks Flow Simulation\lang\english\Docs

Jared Conway

kevin's got your back here. flow simulation can handle this.

thermal analysis in simulation professional can do this as well, but only if you don't care about the air temperature, only the effect that the air has on the cooling/heating of your part.

based on the description of your problem, should be pretty simple external analysis setup. with the tutorials, don't skip right to the one that you think is most appropriate. start at the begining and go through them one-by-one because they build upon each other. don't forget to check out the solvingengineering problems and technical reference documents as well.

the tutorials can also be accessed when flow simulation is enabled and a part is open through help > simulation.