4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 7:24 PM by Scott Lyon

CSWP Equation problem in sample test part

Scott Lyon

I'm having a problem with the diameter of a cylinder in the CSWP sample test, question 1. The sample calls for the dimension to be an equation, Y = B/3 + 10mm. I set this up in my equations folder. Somehow my equation is making this diameter a bit too large which throws off the mass of the part. I am getting 14207.72g where the correct answer, I beleive, is 14207.34g. My figure is nowhere near close enough to pass.

I've built the part a half dozen different ways always with the same result. I located, downloaded and a correct part for comparison from these forrums and this diameter is the only feature that is off in my model. In this case "Y" is 76.666...to infinity. The units are to be set to 2 decimal places which makes it 76.67. If I manually enter 76.666666666666, I get 14207.35g. That is close enough to pass according to Mike Puckett in this thread: https://forum.solidworks.com/message/122302#122302 where he states the answers must be +/- .01g (near the bottom of page). It's not close enough for me though because I know others have found the exact solution. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've been searching these forums and youtube all day with no luck.

I'm using V2013 SP2 prem.

• Re: CSWP Equation problem in sample test part
          John Ferullo

I changed the dimension for the dia in boss-extrude4 to and equation  ( ="y" ) and got

14207.3423 grams

Any help?

cheers

JF

PS: I also changed the dimensions to 4 decimal places from 2.  I found in sketch patterns that it rounds the numbers to document decimal places and calculates with that and not the real number.  For example if I tell it to repeat at a pitch of .125 but I am set to 2 decimal places it will repeat at .13(00)  I don't know if that applies here.

Message was edited by: John Ferullo

Scott Lyon

I did notice the change to .34 (if keeping 2 dec. points) if I added an = instead of just typing the way I had it. That's what lead me to believe there is something wrong with my equation.

I like to work with 4 dec. places myself. Why these tests only use two is beyond me. Might as well pound a nail with a sledge hammer. But, they do and I'd like to pass them which means working on their terms. I got my CSWA the other day and would really like to get my P. Since I can't re-educate the test I'll have to stick to their parameters for now.

I really think my problem has something to do with how I entered the equation and that's obviously something I'd like to correct. May need it in the real world. I opened the eq. manager, clicked in the first cell and typed Y. Tabbed to 2nd cell and typed B/3+10, then hit enter. SW changed it to = "B" / 3 + 10. I've also seen it entered as (B/3) + 10 but I didn't see any difference in the total mass doing so myself.

Nathan Coy

There's nothing wrong with your equation(s).  The problem is you weren't using them from what I can see.  In the sketches/features for each particular dimension with a variable, you will need to link the dimension to the variable.  When I opened your part, hardly any of the dimensions were linked to the variables/equations you defined.  Y = (213/3)+10 equals 76.66666667, not 76.67.  Hence when John types in ="Y" for the dimension, it evaluates correctly.

Just because the "template" setup for the question says "2 Decimal" places, SolidWorks is still evaluating behind the scenes to 8 decimal places. (AFAIK)

So the idea is to get them all linked, then when you get hit with the follow up questions you can punch the new numbers in quickly under "Manage Equations".

Scott Lyon

That’s the tidbit of information I lacked. My workflow was to start the dimension command then backspace in the data field to clear it. That brought up the drop-down menu where I could go to Global Variables>Y.  If I understand correctly now, I see that all I was doing was selecting a predefined number. I wondered why my dimensions didn’t have the equation symbol in them. I guess there are pitfalls to not being able to afford all the training classes offered by my VAR. Solid Professor left out the part about using an equal sign at the dimension dialog box for equations because their example only used variables.

Now I know why John mentioned the = and see that I misunderstood. I had seen and read about putting it in at the equation manager level which didn’t quite make sense to me due to the fact that the equal sign populates automatically there.

Thanks to both of you.