9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 1:12 AM by Jared Conway

Asymmetric Results in a Symmetric Heated Channel

Katie Kirsch

Hello,

I'm using Flow Simulation to model air flow through a heated channel. The channel has 8 rows of cylinders (pin fins) periodically spaced and the goal of the simulation is to look at the velocity, fluid temperature and solid temperature profiles within the channel. The results I'm getting show an asymmetric velocity profile at the outlet of the channel. Behind one of the pin fins in the last row, there seems to be no flow whereas behind another of the last pin fins, the velocity profile looks closer to how it should. I'm not getting an error when the calculation is finished (nor any errors during the calculations). I've attached a screenshot of my model and the results of the velocity distribution to better explain my problem.

The channel in the model represents half of the channel height (and has a symmetry condition to represent the other half). The width of the channel spans two full pins:one full pin in the middle of the channel and two half pins on the sides of the channel. I've used symmetry conditions on both sides of the channel. I set a velocity inlet boundary condition and a pressure outlet boundary condition.

Does anyone know why this asymmetry is occuring at the back of the channel? I'm not sure what other information you may need, but please let me know what else I can tell you about this model.

Thank you in advance for your help.