7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 10:12 AM by Peter Biggert

Help with results????

Robert Smith

Hi, I have been using solidworks for a couple of months now and my work just upgraded to the premium package, i think i have managed to test a spreader beam but im haveing an issue with the results. The factor of safety is above 1 but its still red? i read on the solidworks website that if its above 1 then its safe and my model was at 383 but its still red, does this means it fails or ....? im quite confused. as well as the deflection?????? it looks crazy???? is that what would happen or could happen at the total worst possible outcome?????

Please see attched file for the results.

Thanks

any help would be much appreicated.

• Re: Help with results????
          Irfan Zardadkhan

Hi Robert,

The Color is just a representsation of the values that you see on the chart. Red being the lowest factor of safety (383) and blue being 846,783,872. Red does not mean failure, it just means the areas witht he lowest (383) factor of safety.

Chris Michalski

Robert -

if you look in the upper left corner of the deformed image it shows the deformation scale is 94-thousand  This means that if a node moves 0.001" it is going to look like it moves 94".  This helps to exaggerate areas that deform, but you will likely want to alter the deformation scale to keep it reasonable, especially for a part that deforms so uniformly.

If it deforms too much you would need to ensure a no-penetration between the vertical rib and the inside of the curved surface (so that it doesn't appear as if it passes through another body).

Peter Biggert

Robert

You have results. But do they reflect reality? When I hear someone talk about a spreader bar I think of something used in lifting a load. Is that what this is? You have fixed the entire bottom surface from moving. It this really what happens? It the 15,000 N force really normal to the entire top curved surface? Or should it be in the vertical direction only. You did not create a contact constraint between the center gusset and the curved surface above it. So if your other boundary conditions are correct you could have too much deflection of the top piece because the center piece will not support the top piece. Your mesh only has one element through the thickness so your stresses could be suspect too. You may want to use an even finer mesh to have at least two elements through the thickness or use shell elements.

Robert Smith

yes it is to take a load but it is placed on the deck then straps are put over the half round section and back down. i Assumed as this is how it works thats where it would be fixed to the ground? but then again im not that experianced so thats how i took it.  Im not sure about the direction? the straps would be apply the load there but the load would be below pulling down? does this mean that the load should be on a plane going down? im runnmesh now

Peter Biggert

You may want to use split lines on the top surface to create smaller regions where the straps contact the top surface. If you want to get even closer to reality then instead of fixing the bottom surface create a virtual wall contact condition. I believe that you could even assign a stiffness to the virtual wall.