5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2013 12:33 PM by Chris Challinor

question on video driver on SW2010 SP0.0

Dave Krum

Hi All,

Not sure where to post this question.  My company bought SW 2008 way back and we never used it unfortunately.  I believe we continued receiving updates up to 2010 version.  I'm now learning it 5 years later and have SW2010 SP0.0 installed.  I just bought and installed the Firepro v4800 card this weekend and its real nice for Realview.  My issue is this.  I'm getting some errors on the video card software Catalyst Pro Control Center and CCC-Advanced when I try to open.  I'm not sure what the problem is but thought I'd look at the driver software first.  The driver I installed was downloaded directly from the Solidworks website for my card.  I did notice that it specifically states that I need SW2010 SP1.0 or higher.  I'm running Windows7 home 64 bit.  I'm not eligible for upgrading anything higher than what I have currently (SP0.0) probably because my company didn't renew the subscription agreement when any new SP updates came out after initial release.  I guess my question is this.  Is the driver I downloaded incompatible with SW2010 SP0 since it states that?  If so, is there a driver that will work better for my version that is not on the website?  I don't believe there is any way to get the SP updates anymore without renewing the service agreement.  Thanks.

• Re: question on video driver on SW2010 SP0.0
          Dave Krum

Followup:

I'm experiencing constant windows crashes which render the PC dead requiring a full reboot with my new v4800 Firepro.  When in SW2010 SP0.0, the system will randomly crash to a blank screen.  With my old integrated video card (before I got the Firepro), I never had this issue.  It must be the video driver.  At this point, I'm not sure which to use.  I first installed the one on the Solidworks website for the v4800 - says its good for SW2010 SP1.0 or higher only (I only have SP0.0 and am not eligible for upgrade).  Once the system crashed, I uninstalled the driver and downloaded/installed the latest driver right off the AMD website which apparently is good for several cards.  This one is doing the same thing.  I'm running Windows 7 64bit home edition.  Any ideas?

• Re: question on video driver on SW2010 SP0.0
              Dave Krum

Followup #2:

As mentioned, I'm running SW2010 SP0.0 with Windows 7 x64.  The graphics card I'm running is the Firepro v4800 with the recommended on the solidworks website.  I cannot upgrade to a newer service pack because I'm not eligible.  I've been experiencing complete crashes to the point that I can do nothing but power down the PC as the screen goes blank and even ctrl-alt-delete does nothing.  This only happens intermittently while working in SW.  I'm trying to troubleshoot whether there is a problem with the hardware on my video card itself or just a video driver problem.  From experience, it appears that I have a driver problem.  I don't know if SW2010 is too old to be running with Windows 7 x64 or what.  Opinions?