6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 9:08 PM by Radoslaw Koneczny

Fluid expansion

Freddie Santiago

I want to simulate the effects of a fluid expansion due to a thermal load in the walls of close container. Is this something that needs to be done in flow simulation or which simulation tool should I use? Will appreciate any pointers?

Thanks...

• Re: Fluid expansion
          Bill McEachern

Its a structural problem by the sounds of it so Simulation professional or Sim premium - this is not a Sim Flow problem if I understand correctly.

Freddie Santiago

Bill,

Thanks for the information. explaining a little bit more. I want to simulate the change in shape of a fluid due to a temperature change, with some of the fluid surfaces constrain by the container, but the walls are partially felxible. What I am not sure, since it is a fluid, is if I need to do part in flow simulation or a static or nonlinear simulation will allow me to obtain the results I want.

Thanks,

- Freddie

Jared Conway

Freddie, your only option is to use fea. Simulate the fluid as part that is really soft. It won't be perfect but it will be as close as you can get with the sim tools. Otherwise you're talking about a pretty complicated fluid structure interacting problem.

This is probably ok if the deformation is small. What are you expecting? What is the fluid?

Freddie Santiago

Jared,

Thanks for the suggestions. The fluid is a particualr type of oil and the deformation will be small. I want to be able to model the deformation of the fluid with respect to temperature and verify means to counter act that effect. As I am fairly new to solidwork, I was not sure how to model the fluid itself and wanted to verify with the community if there is a tool in solidworks to do that or if ways to do that, for example as you mentioned a soft part.

Any other help or ideas are more than welcome....

Thanks,

-Freddie

Chris Michalski

If it is a sealed container and you are worried about the thermal expansion, then you really need to determine the volumetric expansion of the liquid, then take into account the compression of the airspace above the liquid and determine the actual pressure that the fluid sees.  Then, as Jared said, define a very soft solid and apply this pressure to the surface exposed to the airspace in the container.

It would actually be best to define the airspace also so that the temperature effects are compensated for both fluid and gas (otherwise you would have to iterate for the pressure as the bottle expands causing the volume to increase causing the pressure to drop).

Radoslaw Koneczny

You better take pencil and calculate it by hand. It will be faster.