15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2013 2:31 PM by Wes Oertli

Rotate part/assembly with scroll wheel?

Wes Oertli

I am using SolidWorks 2013 x64 edition with Windows7 and I am having some problems with what I thought was a default feature of Solidworks.

In almost all 3D CAD systems, pressing down the scroll wheel enables the rotate part/assembly command. When I press down my scroll wheel, nothing happens. I went into customize, mouse gestures, and then looked to the rotate command but the scroll wheel was not a selectable gesture for rotate. I looked up tutorial videos online to see if I was missing something, and all tutorial videos mention this as a standard default function. Having a workaround just slows down productivity as this is one of, if not the most fundamental function when working with a 3D model. Is there a way to fix this?

• Re: Rotate part/assembly with scroll wheel?
          Andrew Kronquist

Do you have special buttons on your mouse? I bought a wireless mouse with extra buttons and software to run them, but then SW didn't scroll like you said. I had to click and exit the mouse software next to the clock in my startbar on the desktop. Just a thought.

Glenn Schroeder

Wes,

Welcome to the forum.  I have a 5-button mouse with the same SW version and OS that you have, and pressing and holding the scroll wheel to rotate works fine.  Could it be a graphics card issue?

Troy Peterson

Have you checked your mouse settings to make sure your middle button is set to work as a middle button?

Untitled.png

Wes Oertli

I thought that might be the case, but the mouse properties in the control panel didn't have any option to enable or disable the wheel.

Mouse Wheel.PNG

My mouse at home is similar to the performance mouse mx you posted. I use the logitech mx500 revolution. It uses logitech setpoint to control the mouse and keyboard features and I have the same issue at home.

Troy Peterson

The control for the scroll wheel button would be under your buttons tab, what does that tab look like?

Wes Oertli

Here is the buttons tab:

Mouse Wheel.PNG

Troy Peterson

Interesting. Have you tried updating your mouse drivers to Logitech drivers. It looks like you are using the default windows drivers. Your mouse properties dialog should look like the image I posted.

Wes Oertli

Maybe I should clarify, I am having the same issue of not being able to use the scroll wheel as a function to rotate parts/assemblies on 2 different computers.

1. Work computer, using a virtual PC running SW 2013 x64 on Windows7 using a wired USB mouse from Microsoft. This mouse and settings are what I posted above.
                                  2. Home computer, using a more powerful GPU, CPU, etc... running SW 2013 x64 on Windows7 using a wireless mouse from Logitech.
                                  John Burrill

No, you're pretty clear.  And you're correct.  Solidworks rotates the dispaly with the middle mouse button-done that since SW 99'.  To get the wheel button to work for rotating the view, it needs to be assigned to Middle Button in mouseproperties, not 'AutoScroll' or 'Cruze' or something like that. 

If you're using the plug-n-play drivers, this behavior is standard.  Since it's not working there are a couple of possible explanations

1) your mouse button assignments are handled by another software like Logitech Mouseware or Microsoft Setpoint.  If that's the case, find that program and reassign the scroll button to 'Middle Button'

2) the driver didn't install correctly.  This will be indicated by a yellow warning sign on the driver in device manager.  IF that's the case, disconnect the mouse, uninstall the driver, re-connect the mouse.

3) both your  home mouse and work mouse need to be reset.  Remove the receiver dongle from the computer, take out the batteries from teh mouse.  Press and hold the left and right buttons on the mouse for 10 seconds.  reconnect the transmitter.  Put the batteries back in and turn the mouse on.  this is a Moot point if it's a corded mouse.

4) The scroll buttons on both mice have gone bad.  You put a lot of force on that button-especially if you use your index finger instead of middle finger and after a while, the limit switch goes bad.

Wes Oertli
                                      1. Might be the case on my home computer as my keyboard and mouse use Setpoint. I will check that when I get home, but I am fairly certain the scroll button is set to "Middle Button". On my work computer, I have no additional software running, as can be seen by my last screencap above showing installed programs.
                                      2. The device manager doesn't show any warnings on my work computer. See pic below for driver details. I also don't have any warnings on my home computer in the device manager.
                                      3. I will try this on my home computer tonight. My work mouse is wired.
                                      4. The mouse I am using at work is brand new, so I don't think the scroll wheel has broken. I will try another mouse to see if that fixed anything. My mouse at home works fine for all other applications using the scroll wheel, including using the scroll wheel to rotate in Solid Edge ST4. I don't have any issues with that programs use of this feature.

Mouse Wheel.PNG