12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 9:48 AM by Myke McCune

AutoCAD

Myke McCune

I have a lot of drawings in AutoCAD. I am thinking about getting Solidworks student. Can I import my AutoCAD drawings and convert them to Solidworks. Also, When my 1 year student subscription ends, will I be able to open Solidworks drawings in a full version Solidworks? I am trying to learn Solidworks for promotion potential, if I get the promotion, I would have access to full Solidworks at work, could I e-mail the drawings from work to home or home to work between the two different versions?

Thanks,

Myke

• Re: AutoCAD
          Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Myke.

I have a lot of drawings in AutoCAD. I am thinking about getting Solidworks student. Can I import my AutoCAD drawings and convert them to Solidworks.

Yes you can import them in SolidWorks.

When my 1 year student subscription ends, will I be able to open Solidworks drawings in a full version Solidworks?

Yes you'll be able to open them but becareful.

I would have access to full Solidworks at work, could I e-mail the drawings from work to home or home to work between the two different versions?

That might not be possible one way or another as with student edition files, you get a watermark on the files which can messed the commercial data. Also you may not be able to open a higher version commercial file in student version.

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference.

Jerry Steiger

Myke,

Find out who the VAR is at work. Talk to them and explain what you are doing and ask them if they would be willing to remove the watermark from your files in the event that you get the job. If they won't or can't help, then you would have to do the work over again with the SW at work. Also note, that as Deepak said, if your work license is on 2013 and you are using the student 2012-2013, then you won't be able to open the files in the student version. On the other hand, if your employer is using an older version, then you won't be able to open your student versions in the older version.

Jerry S.

Richard Gergely

Should be noted though that the work done can not be in any way used for business purposes, and rightly so.

So this being the fact why would you need to convert them from being student version files?

Myke McCune

The reason I want to be able to convert from AutoCAD dwg. to Solidworks is because I have spent hours on my dwg drawings. They are wildlife signs that I made. The reason for converting to full Solidworks from student version is if I work on solidworks drawings this year while I save up for full Solidworks is the same reason, after spending hours on drawings, I want to be able to open them when I buy the full version.

Richard Gergely

You will be able to open them when you buy the full version.

You will have to expand on why you will be buying the sudent version, are you a student only using it for education? Whose paying for the student version?

Why do you need the water mark off the drawings in the future? If it's for personal use there is no issue with the water mark but if it's for commercial use you are back to the fact nothing you do in solidworks educational version should be used for commercial use in any way.

What you can do though is get a full seat of solidworks on trial for 30 days and you can do what you want with that.

Myke McCune

I'm buying the student version to learn the program, so I can get promoted. I am also buying the student version because right now I cant afford the full version. I never said I need the watermark off, the only reason to e-mail the drawings back and forth is so I can practice at work and at home. My only concern was losing my drawings. I am a student using it to learn the program, and I will be paying for the student version. I don't plan on doing work drawings, just trying to learn the software so I can get promoted. With working a full time job, going to school full time and raising a family, I doubt a month trial would be long enough to learn the program in my spare time, hence the year long student version. The promotion opportunity is a year or more in the future, I just want to be prepared. The drawings I want to save are not work drawings, they are wildlife signs I have drawn in AutoCAD, not for work or business, just my own hobby.

Thanks for all the advice and responses.

Myke

Lenny Bucholz

So yes you can bring in DWG\DXF, turn them into SW parts in the student version, the student\edcational versions can be opened in the commercal version, but they are internally stamped that way.

now you could open in the commercal save out as parasolid and open the parasolid again in commercal, it will then be a dumb solid, no features, but then it won't have the stamp of student.

But here is what I would do, go to the person in the company that you'd get the promotion from, ask them if you can do the SW tutorials during lunch or before work, even after for a couple of hours. Now this will give you 2 thing, 1st experience with SW and show the powers that be you are a proactive employee.

last but not least, what you've modeled in the beginning will not be how you will do it later. basicly long hand and then short hand after modeling for somethime.

JMO

Myke McCune

Lenny,

I tried to get a seat at work, but right now drafting/designing is not in my job description, so getting a seat or tutorials is not going to happen. The boss is aware what I am doing and appriciates the initiative, just can't justify it with corporate.

Myke

Lenny Bucholz

Myke McCune wrote:

Lenny,

I tried to get a seat at work, but right now drafting/designing is not in my job description, so getting a seat or tutorials is not going to happen. The boss is aware what I am doing and appriciates the initiative, just can't justify it with corporate.

Myke

Myke,

Do they have network seats or standalone seats?

Why I ask is if network they do not have to buy a new seat for you, just load it and you can use it when the others are not.

If it is standalone, some people don't like to share their work space with others...understandale.

What does the company do and what are you tking in school, if I may ask?

Here at ASU I instruct the CAD1 course our students get to use the schools SW software, they download it and then VPN to the server are able to run it anywhere they have an internet connection to do their homework. maybe your school does the same, never know?? then no cost to you at all, but when you leave school its gone.

One last thing to remember the student\educational is a 1\2 year behind the commercial. What that means is, if your company is on SW2013 and you get student\educational SW 2012-2013 aka SW2012 commercial you would have capatibility issues. SW2013 can read older SW files but SW2012-2013 cannot read newer SW files, so if you open your student SW file at work and save them you hosed yourself because you cannot open again in your student SW because it is now a futre version..... there is no save as older like AutoCad.

just word of warning about backwards and forwards compatibility issuses.

Myke McCune

Lenny,

We have the stand alone seats.The company I work for builds parts for trains. Not the cars themselves, but anything attached to a car to carry something, we build that. If you've ever seen a coal train, we make all the aluminum components for that. Also the parts they use to carry wind turbine towers and blades, we build the parts that carry the blades. In school I am taking Business Administration with a double major in Project Management. I am taking online classes through Ashford. I haven't looked into getting software through them, I will check into it.

Myke

Mike Agan

One option could be to get a home use licence. Every seat of Solidworks at work allows you to have a lic, at home. Possibly one of your co-workers may be not using theirs at home. It may be a little outside agreement. Maybe someone else could elaborate on this as I have not even done it for myself. Also you could search home use licence (HUL) on this forum.