7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 8:46 PM by Josh Brady

Sketcher dims precision and Diameter dims

Sid Humphreys

After using the customary search tool and not finding exactly what I was hoping for, I have yet a couple more questions.  How can I change the amount of digits shown in sketcher and it will always be the same here on out?  I do not want to have to create some template either.  I looked in system options and did not see anything.  I thought document settings were for things that applied only to the document at hand.  Also in sketcher, do I always have to dimension an arc or circle with a radius then have to come back and do a "show as diameter"?  That is frustrating.

Thank you

• Re: Sketcher dims precision and Diameter dims
          Glenn Schroeder

Asuming that by digits shown in sketcher you mean the number of decimal places in dimensions, that's controlled at Tools > Options > System Options > Units.

For the diameter dimensions in your second question, you asked about dimensioning an arc or circle.  With the arc, yes, you need to enter the radius dimension, but if you know the diameter and don't want to do the math, you can enter the diameter/2 to get the correct radius.  For dimensioning circles, the Smart Dimension tool should default to diameter.  If this doesn't answer your questions, please elaborate.

Sid Humphreys

Hey Glenn,

On my version of 2012 SW, the units option is under "document options".  I thought maybe everything under there was document specific and not system wide like I want my sketcher to always be.  Can I change the number of decimal places in units under the document options and have it always be the same in all documents from here on out in my sketcher?

Ok Glenn, I understand the arc/circle dimension scheme now.

Thank you Glenn.  I am getting the hang of this slowly but surely.  Thank you all for your help.

Sid Humphreys

I guess templates it will be then.  I'll have to look at my handy little essentials book that I am borrowing and see if I can whip me up one.

Thanks guys.  the measure trick in document options definitely helped.

thanks

Josh Brady

I think you may have an overly complicated view of templates... All you have to do is start a new part (which will use a current template), change whatever settings you want, and do file->SaveAs and choose Part Template from the dropdown.  You can find out where your templates are stored from Tools->Options, System Options tab, File Locations category, and choose "templates" from the dropdown.