24 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 11:50 AM by Lee S

Command Manager has disappeared

Lee S

Hi,

My command Manager has disappeared even though when I right click in the menu area it is selected. See atatched image "command.jpg"

Anyone any ideas. It was always there now it has vanished. How do I get it back?

Thanks

Lee

• Re: Command Manager has disappeared
          John Burrill

Lee, try switching to the small icons view and then back and see if your command manager refreshes.  If not, you'll probably need to reset your toolbars.

Scott Pinnow

Try rebooting your computer if you havn't already.

Dayamoy Mandal

Hi,

Please try press F10 BUTTON    and check

it should come.

Dayamoy

Josh Brady

Good luck with getting the Command Manager back... However, I have a recommendation that will increase your modelling speed and efficiency greatly:

Kick the Command Manager to the curb.

The command manager is a waste of clicks and screen real estate.  Between the customizable popup shortcut menu (most people call it the "S" key menu), the context-dependent popup shortcut menus, shortcut keys, and mouse gestures you should rarely if ever have to move your mouse out of the working area and up to a toolbar.  The command manager makes this even worse because you may have to click on a different tab of the command manager to get to what you want.  If you are a novice/casual user, I can see how the command manager can be helpful for ease-of-use in organizing commands.  However, a frequent/power user will benefit greatly through the course of a day by customizing the interface for maximum efficiency.

Kelvin Lamport

I concur with Josh ... except for the Mouse Gestures. I just can't get used to those.

I tried the CM for a few of days and found it extremely counter-productive. Using a customized S-key menu & keyboard shortcuts is far more efficient.

Glenn Schroeder

Okay, you convinced me.  I've been using SW daily for over 3 years and been using the Command Manager the whole time and not using the S-key shortcut, although I do have other keyboard shortcuts set up, but I just spent some time customizing the S-key shortcut and hid my Command Manager.  I'm going to try it for a few days.

On the other hand, this is one of those rare times when I disagree with Kelvin.  I have Mouse Gestures set up and like them.  They let me get a lot done without leaving the graphics area or going to my keyboard. 

John Burrill

So you have everything hotkeyed-sheet metal, surfacing, annotations?

I use the command manager for stuff I use occasionally-definately not for sketching and features, but I use something like Weldments maybe once a month, I'm not going to be able to remember keyboard combinations for 30 commands that I only occasionally use so my choices are pulldown menus or command manager and command manager is more efficient than pulldowns.

Josh Brady

I guess I should amend my statement.  I shouldn't necessarily knock the command manager altogether, and I'm not saying that you can't work efficiently if it's active.  But by far it shouldn't be your default choice for accessing commands.  For speed, command manager is only marginally faster than the pulldowns if the command you are looking for is on an inactive tab.  And especially if you run SW across two (or more, if you're lucky) screens, any time your mouse has to leave the work area you lose at least a second over the round trip.  If you are running CAD all day, this could add up to half an hour or more.  Speed order, at least for me, is keyboard>gesture>context popup>"s">toolbar/rmb>command mgr>pulldown.  I try to put frequent commands on fast methods, and on down from there.  By the time I get past the standard type toolbar (of which I do have a few), my use of those commands is so rare that I prefer to keep the model space rather than sucking up more real estate with the command manager.

Lee S

Josh,

Have you a customised list I can use to try it out?

Thanks

Lee

Jim Peltier

Lee,

It looks to me like your Command Manager tabs have all been turned off. Go to Tools > Customize then click on the Toolbars tab, you should see all your Command Manager tabs. Right-click on the ones you want to have choose Show Tab, then click OK.

Cheers,

Jim.

Lee S

Jim,

I had performed this action for some of the commands previously when I noticed they had gone but for some strange reason all my tabs disappeared including the horizontal tabs at the top of the left hand column that included the Features tab, the Sheetmetal Tab, Sketch tab etc. The whole lot gone. I dont know how to get them back. It's like SW went crazy and removed everything.I have attached two jpegs of how my command line used to look before SW removed it, Fig A and how it is now, Fig B. Any ideas on this?

Thanks

Lee

Alin Vargatu

Lee, when you right click on any of the toolbar, do you see the Command Manager options checked or unchecked?

cm.jpg

Lee S

Hi Alin,

If you go to the original post jpeg I have shown this. It is checked.

Thanks

Lee

Alin Vargatu

Try one of these:

1. Reset your toolbars

reset.jpg

2. Reset your SW registry keys by renaming

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 20xx to something else (I usually add old as a suffix)

Message was edited by: Alin Vargatu

Lee S

Hi Alin,

I tried option 1 and that didnt work. Just to note that on the customise menu you have shown, if I deselect "Enable Command Manager" the space where the icons should be disappears and when I reselect it, it comes back but blank.

Can you elaborate on the second option as I don't fuly understand what you mean by changing:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 20xx

to something else (I usually add old as a suffix)"

I don't want to change anything in the registry unless I'm 100% sure of what I am doing. Just to let you know that I am using SW 2008 and in the data field in the registry for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2008, the value is not set.

What value do I put in or what do I change?

Thanks

Lee

Alin Vargatu

That is actually a folder. I am not asking you to delete it, just rename it. Call it SolidWorks 2008 old. Of course, make sure that SolidWorks is not running when you rename it.

When you will restart SolidWorks, it will create a new set of keys.

Kelvin Lamport

Alin,

Is there a reason to reset the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE rather than the usual HKEY_CURRENT_USER for this problem?

Lee,

If you want to test whether the registry reset will work, but don't want to mess with the registry, create a new profile and open SW from that. If the CM works OK for that profile, then you can reset the registry for your profile.

NOTE: Resetting the reigistry key will reset all toolbars, etc to factory default settings. All customised settings will be lost.

If the registry reset works, set all the SW settings to your liking and then SAVE THE SETTINGS. Go back to the registry and export the new SolidWorks key. If the settings get screwed again, simply double click the exported .reg file to do the reset, ... but this time with all the customised settings.

Alin Vargatu

You are correct, of course, Kelvin. My apologies for the misinformation. I can just blame copy & pasting text using a phone instead of a computer, so I missed this very important detail.

Lee S

Kelvin,

I understand what you are saying but how do I:

1. Create a new profile and then reset the registry for that profile if the CM works for that profile?

2a. If the registry reset works, set all the SW settings to your liking and then SAVE THE SETTINGS 

I do this in Solidworks itself

but..

2b. Go back to the registry and export the new SolidWorks key,

where is the Solidworks key, which folder and where do I export it to and do I rename it?

2c If the settings get screwed again, simply double click the exported .reg file to do the reset, ... but this time with all the customised settings.

just by double clicking the exported .reg file will this automatically reset everything again without having to change anything again?

If you could answer these for me I'd appreciate it as what your saying sounds like it will work I'm just not fully sure of how to do it, once I fully understand it I have a better idea of what I'm doing and why I'm doing it and not make a mess of it.

Thanks

Lee

Kelvin Lamport

Lee,

1. Create a new profile and then reset the registry for that profile if the CM works for that profile?

You do not need to reset the registry for the new profile. After creating a new profile, a new registry key will be created when SW is first opened in that profile.

In Windows, open the Control Panel and select User Accounts > Manage another account > Create a new account

Give the new account a name & make sure the Administrator option is selected. No need to add a password at this stage.

Once the account is active, open SolidWorks and check if the CM works. If it doesn't work, you have a deeper problem than a registry fix.

If it does work, you have a choice of continuing to work in that new profile, or resetting the registry for your original profile. (See next)

Close SolidWorks

Switch user to you original profile

Click Windows Start button

Select Run (this will open a new window)

In that window, type regedit & hit OK (this will open a new window)

Select HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software

Rename SolidWorks key to SolidWorks OLD

Restart SolidWorks (the registry key will be re-created)

If the CM is OK, go ahead and re-create any customizing to the toolbars, menus, etc.

2b. Go back to the registry and export the new SolidWorks key,

where is the Solidworks key, which folder and where do I export it to and do I rename it?

The SW key is at the same place as above. To export the SW key, open the registry, highlight the SolidWorks key and select File > Export. You can save it wherever you want and name it whatever you want ... providing you keep the .reg extension.

Another method is to use the SW Copy Settings Wizard.

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/Copy_Options_Wizard.htm

2c If the settings get screwed again, simply double click the exported .reg file to do the reset, ... but this time with all the customised settings.

just by double clicking the exported .reg file will this automatically reset everything again without having to change anything again?

Yes.

Lee S

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to me in order to solve this problem. I tried all of your ideas and learned something in the process. We found the solution hopefully it will help someone else if it happens to them down the road.

Thanks Again Kelvin

Kind Regards

Lee