6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 9:56 AM by Sid Humphreys

Blue feather on my icon

Sid Humphreys

Good morning all,

Hope you all had a descent weekend.

I have created an assembly with some components that I have placed.  I have now created another part that has just the cys and the 3 planes only.  I have assembled this new part into my other assembly so that I can create the new part's features while in the assembly.  Basically I want to be able to create the new part while in assembly mode and create it around existing part's geometry.  I have noticed in my assembly model tree my first four existing parts, their icons which were just the normal part block icon now have what looks like a blue feather across the prt icon and the new prt with just the cys and 3 planes does not.  What is the "feather thingy" and how can I toggle between individual parts and assembly level to work on each level?

Thanks guys.

Sid

• Re: Blue feather on my icon
          Glenn Schroeder

That was the first question I asked on the Forum (https://forum.solidworks.com/message/132632#132632).  It means that the part is loaded lightweight.

Sid Humphreys

Thanks Glen.  I get it now.  I want to apologize for the next couple of weeks ahead of time.  I know I desperately need training and my boss said two weeks I'll be going to Charlotte, but in the mean time I need to get some things done.  I am using search as much as possible but I apologize again for leaning on you guys.  I figured out how to go between parts in the assembly.  When I chosse to place a new feature and select my sketch plane within the part, why will it not orient my sketch plane towards me?  Why is it not asking for the next plane for me to orient the sketch plane towards me?  While creating a single part alone, I picked the sketch plane and the sketch oriented automatically towrds me without having to pick another.  Can I pick another plane if I want to to orient the sketching plane differently than what SW is giving me?

Sid

Tony Cantrell

There is a check box to automatically orient the sketch normal in properties.

Glenn Schroeder

No need to apologize, we're here to help.  Just selecting a plane will not automatically rotate the model, unless you select the plane and then select "Normal to" from your View Orientation heads up drop-down or toolbar.  The automatic rotating you referred to is almost certainly occurring when you start a new sketch.  That rotating when starting a new 2d sketch will happen if you have the box checked for "Auto-rotate view normal to sketch plane on sketch creation" at Tools > Options > System Options > Sketch.  If that rotation is backwards from what you want, then hit the "Normal to" button referred to above.  That will rotate the model 180° to show the other side of the selected plane.

And if you want to orient differently, for example rotated 90° from the automatic rotation, then select the plane or flat surface that you want to the front, hold down the Ctrl button, select the plane or surface that you want to the top (it must be at 90° from the first surface selected), then hit the "Normal to" button and your model will be rotated appropriately.

Sid Humphreys

Thanks guys.  I am getting this sketching thing a bit now.  A tad different than Pro, but similiar.  Messing with relations now.  I see a button on the toolbar that says "no external references".  In my old Pro world, it was always advantagous to NOT reference other parts while sketching so as to not create unnecessary parent/child relationships that would later hinder regeneration or erros to be fixed later.  You want to be able to tear apart the assembly at will without the assembly crashing due to child links.  I am currently relating a part sketch to other parts for ref.  What does the "No external references" button do please?

Sid