4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 12:23 PM by Rick McDonald

Import of Inventor Drawings (.idw) into SolidWorks

Prasad Bhonsule

Hi all, just wondering about the best way to import a Inventor Drawing file (.idw) into SolidWorks.

I have checked the Knowledge Base and learnt that SolidWorks cannot directly import Inventor Drawings.

My prospective customer does not have access to Inventor or AutoCAD to convert the drawings to .dwg/dxf and then import them into SolidWorks.

I guess I'm asking if there are any 3rd Party translators out there??

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Prasad Bhonsule

• Re: Import of Inventor Drawings (.idw) into SolidWorks
          Rick McDonald

I don't know of anything other than Inventor that will open an .idw and save it as a dxf or dwg.

Even AutoCad will not open an .idw.

If your client has .idw files, why can they not be opened by them?

If the program has expired, you or they could try to see if Autodesk still gives 30 day trial downloads or disk.

The load it and in that 30 days convert the drawings to .dwgs.

Also, do they have the Inventor part files (.ipt)?

If you can get the .ipt's and you have SolidWorks professional or above, you can use featureworks to convert the .ipt into SolidWorks parts.  Then you can remake the drawing files in SW.

Even if you had the .dwg files you can not directly make SW drawing files from them - you would use them to make SW parts and the drawings from the SW parts.

That's the boat I am in. I have inventor and SW and want to convert all my drawings to SW drawings.  SW can use featureworks to convert the .ipt's into .sldprt's but I still have to make and annotate the drawings from scratch.

BTW, if you have SW standard version and have Inventor you don't need SW Pro with featureworks to convert as long as inventor has a valid license on the same machine as SW it will convert with most features without problems.  I know you don't have Inventor but this may help anyone that is trying  to do that.

Francis Cadin

Rick McDonald wrote:

BTW, if you have SW standard version and have Inventor you don't need SW Pro with featureworks to convert as long as inventor has a valid license on the same machine as SW it will convert with most features without problems.  I know you don't have Inventor but this may help anyone that is trying  to do that.

It is a good solution.

But i can add that if you don't have SW pro or an inventor valid license, you can still convert .ipt to .sldprt with a software called CrossManager : http://www.datakit.com/en/cross_manager.php

Rick McDonald

Thanks for that program information.

I have also heard that "Autodesk Inventor View"  will allow this as well if you don't have a license.

I have downloaded it and am having someone else at the company test it because we have Inventor 11, 2008 & 2012 here and I am the only one that has 2008 & 2012 so others can't read my files.

I will also have them try the program you listed.

I can not test on my system since I have all versions and I can currently translate all to SW.

I always look for all the programs I can find because some work and some don't depending on system settings, hardware and other software.

Thanks again.

UPDATE:

I did download the Cross manager program but it requires a license to use.

They do offer demo licenses but I have not gotten to that yet - it is through a reseller and I don't want to get all the sales requests if I don't need it.

I will have my team try the Autodesk Inventor View first - since it is free and I don't have the budget for more software now.

Do you know the cost of Cross Manager (ball park price per seat)?

How well does it work?

Does it give the full features tree of items or does it just bring in the part as a dumb solid?

Thanks, Rick

Message was edited by: Rick McDonald