5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2014 11:57 PM by Jared Conway

Thermal expansion + stress deformation on Tower tank

Arkmando Arratia

Hi guys,

I'm trying to simulate an acid plant with a tower tank connected to another tank with an expansion joint in between. My problem is that the tower tank is supposed to have a roller/slider fixture (it is design to roll when  while the smaller tank is fixed. The tower and the tank besides  are also subjected to external loads (gravity and forces). What I'm trying to find are thermal dilatation between the two bodies, Calculate the deformation in the expansion joint and if the tower does move or the flange sinks in it. Some of the problems I'm experiencing are that with some configurations the model won't run the simulation. Also, I'm having troubles with the fixtures (sometimes model won't run because the model is not properly fixed). I would also like to know how approximate to reality would this simulation would turn out in your opinion. I would also appreciate any advices and comments in the study.

I have attached a simplified model with both in assy (assy2hh.sldasm) and in a single part (solidpart.sldprt)

Regards,

Armando A

• Re: Thermal expansion + stress deformation on Tower tank
          Jared Conway

How much movement are you expecting?

My suggestion is to start simple. Fix both towers, get your external loads and thermal expansion to work. Still not working? Start with gravity only and add on from there. Once you get that , you might have a good idea how much force exists between them and how much they will separate.

To find out how much they separate, at least something will have to be fixed and the displacement will need to be small. Of there is large displacement and rigid body motion, it will be tough on the linear solver. You may need to get fancy with restraints.

I haven't checked your files, but start with above and let us know if you get stuck and where.

Arkmando Arratia

I was able to complete the study using Ansys 15, total displacement was rather big 50 mm, but acceptable. I found ansys mesher much faster and less resource demanding. Also Ansys 15 has parallel meshing which is able to use multiple CPU cores. It was easier than I expected since the model can be exported/imported very easily and the layout for adding forces, temperatures, and restrictions is almost identical. Still solidworks displays prettier results.

Jared Conway

it sounds like you had some experience with ansys, hard to compare against solidworks simluation if you don't have experience with it. your problem description seems relatively simple and straight forward to setup so i would expect for an experienced user to have similar to success that you had in ansys.

the challenge with your description is unless you know exactly what you're looking for, it is difficult to point you in the right direction. looking at your model, there are some simplifications that i'd recommend doing in advance and then make sure that things are touching to make sure that global contact is applied. for troubleshooting, the method i suggested would teach you a lot about these features/functions.

regardingy our comment about: "Also Ansys 15 has parallel meshing which is able to use multiple CPU cores." solidworks simulation also has this. and there would be no need for export/import.

glad you were able to get things going.