1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 10, 2013 6:07 PM by Jerry Steiger

How to apply a known total load on beam structure?

Andrew Lee

I'm currently designing the frame of a vehicle right now. One of the things that I want to analyze is how the entire frame structure will react when the vehicle is fully loaded (total load).

I basically want to apply a total load on a set of beams shown below, which is acting as the structure for the floor. A "plate" which is the floor panel is not shown.

I first tried to just apply forces on each of the beams, but I obviously do not know the force on each beam. Each is also not the same length. I only know the total force.

What I want to do is add a plate which will act as the floor and remain rigid, while the beams below will obviously deform. What I thought would be great is to apply a total force on a plate that is coincident to all of the beams, but I don't think there's a way to do this.

I had already tried to model a plate, which I had assigned as a shell, that is coincident to the beams. I then used a contact set to bond the surface/shell and the beams together. The result was that the surface basically deformed like a piece of sheetmetal over the beams (think melting), which is not what I want.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Re: How to apply a known total load on beam structure?
          Jerry Steiger

Andrew,

Personally, I would want to model the actual plate for the floor, then apply the load to the floor. If the load is something that readily deforms, like sand, then I would apply a pressure, equal to the total load divided by the area of the plate. If the plate is thin, then you will get a lot of deformation between the beams. If the plate is thick, then there will be much less deformation between the beams and the plate will add significantly to the stiffness of the whole structure.

Another approach, but one I wouldn't recommend, would be to divide the load between the beams based on the total length of the beams. You would divide the load by the total length of the beams, then multipy that number times the length of each beam to get the appropriate load for each beam.

Jerry S.