6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 2:25 PM by Lenny Bucholz

How to control autosave location on import?

Scott Johnson

We save a lot of models from various customers, and if I open or import a new IGES, STP, or Pro/E prt, it saves as Part# where ever I was last, or some other random location. How do I stop this action or force it to save the file in the same location as the original geometry?

• Re: How to control autosave location on import?
          Lenny Bucholz

Are you saving the files to a folder then opening them from SW or are you doing it a different way? Like drag and drop from explorer, double clicking the file from emails...????

Lenny Bucholz

Works for me with open from within SW, after import and file save as it save to where I open from.

Scott Johnson

Isn't there an option or parameter to "Save in Import File Location" or something similar?

Lenny Bucholz

Scott Johnson wrote:

Isn't there an option or parameter to "Save in Import File Location" or something similar?

not that I know of, you may be able to use task scheduler, but I am not sure if you can make multple pathes.

You can schedule tasks to import IGES (*.igs, *.iges) and STEP (*.step, *.stp) files into SolidWorks part (*.sldprt) files. You can import individual files or all files of a specified type within a folder.

You can specify one or more files or folders, but you cannot specify both files and folders in the same task.

To create an Import Files task:

1.   Click Import Files on the sidebar, or click Tasks, Import Files
                      2. In the dialog box, type a new title for the task or leave the default in Task title.

3. Select the files or folders you want to import:

•   To select files:
                      1.   Under Task files or folders, click Add File
                      2. Select the type of file to import in Files of type.

3. Browse to the file to import, then click Open.

4. Repeat steps a, b, and c to select additional files.

•   To select folders:
                      1.   Under Task files or folders, click Add Folder
                      2. Browse to the folder that contains the files to import, then click OK.

3. Under File Name or Type, click in the row that contains the folder you just added, then select the type of file to import.

4. Repeat steps a, b, and c to select additional folders.

5. If you do not want to include subfolders, clear Include subfolders.

To delete a file or folder from the list, click its number in the leftmost column, then click Delete.

1.   Under Task output folder, select one of the following to specify where to store the imported files:
                      •   Same as original file
                      • This folder. Type the path to the folder, or click to browse to the folder.

To schedule the task:

1.   Under Task schedule, set:
                      •   Running mode. Specifies how often the task runs. Select Once, Daily, Weekly, or Monthly
                      • Start time.

• Start date.

1.   Specify the Task output folder:
                      •   Same as original file 
                      • This folder. Browse to specify a folder.

1.   Click Options to set import options
                      2. Click Advanced if you want to change task options such as backup file location and time-out duration.

3. Click Finish.

The task and its title, scheduled time, scheduled date, and status appear in the Tasks panel. The status of the task is Scheduled.

To run a scheduled task, your computer must be on at the scheduled start time. The SolidWorks Task Scheduler window does not need to be open. If your computer is off at the scheduled start time, the task runs when you turn your computer on.

At the scheduled start time, the task is initiated. If the task acts on more than one file, a sub-task is generated for each file. If you selected Backup task files in Task Options, a backup copy of each file is saved to a .zip file. Then each file is imported. When the task completes, the status changes to Completed.

After the task completes, click Completed to see the SolidWorks Task Scheduler Report.

If your backup files include Unicode file paths, use a zip file extraction application that supports UTF-8 encoding.

See Importing and Exporting Files in SolidWorks Help for more information.

Message was edited by: Lenny Bucholz

Lenny Bucholz

have to do it as I did... the double click or drag and drop looses the path so SW can only remember the last saved or open folder location.......windows is the driving factor here....256 characters thing... and the email opens a temp file in an ie folder the is hidden with a long string of @#&*&%%$thdfk&*((&^%38490mxcue in the file name.