6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2013 2:47 PM by Justin Strempke

Missing drawing views - no broken references

Justin Strempke

So I have a drawing that has all views as only envelopes.  I believe this drawing was created on a local HD, them moved to the server.  The drawing references point to the correct location of the parts, rebuilding doesn't help, deleting views then undoing doesn't fix it.  When I click on the view properties, it displays all the correct info, but nothing brings the view back (changing orientation, shading, etc).

Am I just SOL and need to redraw the entire thing or can anyone help on this?  Thanks!

• Re: Missing drawing views - no broken references
          Glenn Schroeder

If the drawing was created locally, and then moved to the server without the models being moved with it, that can cause the problem you describe.  Can you copy the model(s) from the hard drive to the server?  For the future, when drawings are moved it's a good idea to use the Pack and Go feature to move the drawing and all it's models at the same time and to the same location.

Justin Strempke

The models were moved at the same time, it was set up as a project folder then moved as a whole.  It's been done it in the past, just updated the references and everything has worked fine.  I will use P&G from here on out, just to be safe, or SW Explorer to do it on hopes it will auto-update everything needed.

That said, it's just odd all the reference paths are correct and the model properties come up but nothing shows.

Just to add, there's no dimensions shown either, and every now-and-then when I click it the annotation balloons will show, but no model.

Glenn Schroeder

If the files were all moved together into the same folder, then I would agree that it should have worked.  If a Ctrl+Q rebuild won't fix it, have you tried closing the drawing, going to File > Open, browsing to and highlighting the drawing and choosing the References button to see what files it shows?

Justin Strempke

Huh, that's weird.  When I check references there, they still point to the local temp directory, but when I open the drawings and go File > Find References, they list the server path.  May have been from when I copied the project file and pasted into local drive (through Win Explorer) just to check, but still nothing worked.  I deleted the local copy again, and the references on the server file displayed correctly in both the Open window and under File when opened, but still no model views!  Nothing with Ctrl+Q either.

Glenn Schroeder

When you check references with the method I explained above, you should be able to change them to the server location.  You can also find the drawing in SW Explorer, highlight it, click the References tab, RMB on the referenced files, and choose "Replace".  I would try that before I re-did the drawing.

Justin Strempke

I tried that too, and nothing changed.  I then deleted the local copy, checked the refs under Open... and they reverted to the server path.  After opening the refs under File... showed the server paths as well, but no models.

Good news though - FIXED!!

Found an article for reloading multiple pages (something that aways annoyed me, reloading each seperately) with a macro from Deepak:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/343572#343572

Ran it, and viola!  Have my views again!  There was just no way/option to unhide/unsuppress the views that I could find, just so strange.

EDIT:  There was an option to 'Show' both from the feature tree and when RMB the view, but nothing happened.  The view in the tree remained greyed out.  For some reason running the macro to do it worked though.