18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 12:04 PM by Denzil Searle

Help with doing drawings

B. R

Hi.

I have build a excavator in Solid , but i need to do a drawing of the excavator with a BOM list ( asemblylist ) and with numbering. I have no clue how to do this and i have read some boards on how to do it , but i cant get the hang of it.

Could someone help me make the drawing? it needs to be a basic drawing , the only important is that i has a BOM list with numbering.

thank you!

• Re: Help with doing drawings
          Glenn Schroeder

Welcome to the forum.

Open a drawing, insert a Model View of your excavator, then with it highlighted, go to your Annotations section of your CommandManager > Tables, and choose Bill of Materials.

Tony Cantrell

With your assy open go to file and select make drawing from part/assy.

Jeff Mirisola

Go to the help section in SolidWorks and look at the tutorials. There is one for drawings.

B. R

Hi guys , thanks for the quick reply!

I know how to do a simple drawing with different projections , top , left, right and so on.

But my m8's is telling me that i need to do dimensions in the drawing have no clue how to do that.

B. R

But do you ever add  Dimensioning to a drawing?

B. R

Adding demension , is it generally hard to do ? i need to ask if i really need to add demensions.

Glenn Schroeder

It's very simple.  Please do some tutorials.

Matthew Lorono

B. R,

From your responses, I'm getting the sense that you've never created any detail drawing (a drawing with dimensions and tolerances) before.  If this is the case, you will likely have to address that issue with your supervisor as this is a career skill that requires career training.

If that isn't an issue, then I'll just iterate what is said before with some added detail.  SolidWorks has tools in the Dimension toolbar that allow you to add a variety of dimensions on your drawing views.  These tools are very easy to use.  Each tool has its own workflow, so going through them here isn't the best way to learn.  If you go through the tutorials (or even the articles in the Help file), you will quickly learn how to add dimensions to your drawings. 

Mark Kaiser

Really, you've modeled an excavator and can't figure out how to detail a drawing?  Smells fishy to me.

B. R

Let me break it down for you all.

I am doing a CAD course , all pupils got intructions hon HOW TO build a excavator..so i followed step be step on how to do it. Now we didn't get intructions on how to do the drawings , which everyone has trouble with..even the clever ones.

this is what we have to do:

There is 2 parts of the excavator which we need to add demensions ; the cabin and the front arm

For the cabin i have to make an incision to measure the  large window radius / curvature (tolerance is not required!). Three basic views is enough probably.
                            The cabin has three dimensions that should be toleranced
                            , width, length, height.
                            The arm has seven functional dimensions that should be toleranced, consider what the arm that sits in / on other details! Length measurements between cc shaft attachment 1 & 2 (84mm), schould absolutly be toleranced.
                            Tolerances are added to the parts inserted in each other, but + -0.1 enough to work on most dimensions!

The excavator (that whole compilation) should not be dimensioned at all! You should create an isometric view of a so-called general arrangement drawing and then insert an auto parts list (BOM / Bill of materials), and automatic balloons / auto balloon with posiotionsnummer from BOM (numbers are generated automatically if you do it right!).

Now These intructions was given to me by the teacher , i have tried to do the drawings of the cabin and the front arm..but i cant make it right..and i have until friday to hand in all the files.

Could somone help me the the dimensions of the cabin and front arm? somone who uses solid 2010 , i think the BOM part i can handle , it looks good so far.

regards

B. R

I figured out the dimXpertmanager , which adds tolerance automaticlly .. Does this make right tolerances? Do you guys who uses Solid in Real life and ship out your CAD to production ..do you use this function? my teacher cant fail me beacuse i use it , or can he?

He hasn't told us that we could not use it..

Denzil Searle

In Real Life engineering, you choose different tolerances depending on the needs of the component, the materials and the manufacturing methods. You can't rely on an automatic tool to get the numbers right. +/-0.1mm is way too tight if you are cutting sheet metal panels for a vehicle cabin, but way not tight enough for a precision shaft fit. Selecting tolerances and dimensioning a drawing properly takes a fair amount of skill and experience, and none of us are going to be able to teach you that today in a forum thread.

If your teacher has asked for something that nobody has taught you, you need to take it up with him.