6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 2:34 PM by Sally Hoo

Character Count Limit in Data Card Variables?

Sally Hoo

Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be input as a variable's value?  I currently have variable linking to certain cells in an Excel form.  However, when the cell's character counts exceeds 255, the variable linking no longer works (shows the cell name in the data card intead of the cell value).  I'm not sure if this is a limitation with Excel or PDM, but in either case, does anyone have suggestions for how to get around this?

Thanks,

Sally

• Re: Character Count Limit in Data Card Variables?
          Tom Helsley

Have you tried setting the max text length validation settings for the control item in your card?

EPDM Card Control Validation.png

Sally Hoo

I just tried this as you suggested, but it didn't change the behavior.  After testing this out some more, I saw that I'm able to enter more than 255 characters in the data card and save the card fine.  However, when opening the Excel file, the linked cell does not update.  If I enter less than 255 characters or less in the data card, then when opening the Excel file, the linked cell DOES update.  So, it seems that it may be a limitation with Excel or PDM specifically linking to an Excel cell?  In any case, that doesn't give me much hope of resolving this.

Tom Helsley

It seems to be a limitation of EPDM.  I tried this using an xlsx file (excel 2010), which has a max character limit in each cell of 32,767 (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/excel-specifications-and-limits-HP005199291.aspx).  I got the same behavior.  EPDM seems to cut off the number of characters passed on to Excel at 255 (which was the character limit on Excel 2003 and earlier). 

Actually, when more than 255 characters are saved in the cell that is linked to the EPDM custom property, the control (text box) contents show the name of the range that is linked to the custom property in Excel.  I know it's kinda nit-picking on terms, but some think of the cell name as the address (e.g. "A1").  To avoid this problem going from Excel to EPDM, you can use validation in Excel to limit the number of characters to 255.

When I set the text box max character limit to 255 in the EPDM card, I had no problems.  EPDM wouldn't allow any more characters in the text box, and the information transferred to Excel just fine.  I'd say check your file card again.

Charley Saint

Sally,

This is a limitation for custom properties in any MS Office format. It's not an EPDM limitation, if you open an excel file outside the vault, go to File->Info and select the Advanced Properties you can insert your own custom property and you will run into the same limit.

2013-03-01_0845.png