1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 7:50 AM by Joy Garon

EPDM Cannot Read or Write the Contents of the File

Casey Lacourse

Hello Everyone,

I am having trouble transferring some SolidWorks files into our vault. When I drag and drop a file into the vault I get the error:

"SolidWorks Enterprise PDM cannot read or write the contents of the file 'C:\...." This can happen if the file is corrupt or if it is a newer version than SolidWorks Enterprise PDM can handle. Do you want to proceed anyways?"

I am running Enterprise 2013 SP1, and SolidWorks 2012 SP4.0.

I have tried to save as a different file name, check to see if the file is read only, etc. As far as I can tell the file is not corrupt.

Had anyone had a similar problem and how did they fit it?

Thanks

Capture.JPG

• Re: EPDM Cannot Read or Write the Contents of the File
          Joy Garon

Hi Casey -

Found this in the Knowledge Base:

Solution Id:

S-043157

Product:

SolidWorks Enterprise PDM 2010 CAD Editor

Created:

10/19/2009

Updated:

12/31/2009

Area:

PDMWorks Enterprise

Sub-Area:

File Format Support

Question:

What causes a warning saying "SolidWorks Enterprise PDM cannot read or write the contents of the file..This can happen if the file is corrupt or if it is of a newer version" when adding some files to a file vault view?

Answer:

For certain file types, Enterprise will try to extract "file specific" information such as meta data stored in the file (custom properties) or file relations (parent-child references, external references, XRefs). It does this using one of the many preinstalled file format plug-ins. If the plug-in fails to process the file that is added or checked in to an Enterprise file vault view on a client, the following error will show:

=============================================
          SolidWorks Enterprise PDM cannot read or write the contents of the file 'filename'.
          This can happen if the file is corrupt or if it is of a newer version than SolidWorks Enterprise PDM can handle.
          Do you want to proceed anyway?

[Yes] [Yes to All] [No] [No to All] [Cancel]
          =============================================

Depending on version of Enterprise, type of file format and existing applications installed on the client, some file types will generate the above error when added to the vault. Pressing yes will still add the file and allow managing it just like any other file, but the file specific features may not work correctly.

Some notes about file format compatibility (at time of writing, Oct 2009):
          - Enterprise currently includes plug-ins for the following CAD file formats: SolidWorks, AutoCAD® DWG, Inventor®, Solid Edge®, Pro/ENGINEER®. Other formats can still be fully managed in the vault, but will have no automatic meta-data and reference support.
          - For a list of currently supported CAD format versions (Enterprise 2007-2009), refer to knowledge base solution S-029120
          - Most file format plug-ins are not forwards compatible, meaning that if using Enterprise 2009 the above error might result if adding SolidWorks 2010 files. Most are however backwards compatible.
          - Solid Edge and Pro/ENGINEER file formats support requires a x32 operating system and the full application installed on the client. See details in above solution.
          - Inventor file format support requires the full Inventor application or Inventor viewer installed on the client.
          - SolidWorks and DWG files can be managed without having the full application installed.
          - For other file formats not listed here, solution partners may offer additional file format plug-ins. Refer to a sales representative for more information. Also see the VAR Resource Center, Products, Data Management, SolidWorks Enterprise PDM, Partner Program.