This content has been marked as final. Show 1 reply
Hi Casey -
Found this in the Knowledge Base:
SolidWorks Enterprise PDM 2010 CAD Editor
File Format Support
Question:What causes a warning saying "SolidWorks Enterprise PDM cannot read or write the contents of the file..This can happen if the file is corrupt or if it is of a newer version" when adding some files to a file vault view?
Answer:For certain file types, Enterprise will try to extract "file specific" information such as meta data stored in the file (custom properties) or file relations (parent-child references, external references, XRefs). It does this using one of the many preinstalled file format plug-ins. If the plug-in fails to process the file that is added or checked in to an Enterprise file vault view on a client, the following error will show:
SolidWorks Enterprise PDM cannot read or write the contents of the file 'filename'.
This can happen if the file is corrupt or if it is of a newer version than SolidWorks Enterprise PDM can handle.
Do you want to proceed anyway?
- Enterprise currently includes plug-ins for the following CAD file formats: SolidWorks, AutoCAD® DWG, Inventor®, Solid Edge®, Pro/ENGINEER®. Other formats can still be fully managed in the vault, but will have no automatic meta-data and reference support.
- For a list of currently supported CAD format versions (Enterprise 2007-2009), refer to knowledge base solution S-029120
- Most file format plug-ins are not forwards compatible, meaning that if using Enterprise 2009 the above error might result if adding SolidWorks 2010 files. Most are however backwards compatible.
- Solid Edge and Pro/ENGINEER file formats support requires a x32 operating system and the full application installed on the client. See details in above solution.
- Inventor file format support requires the full Inventor application or Inventor viewer installed on the client.
- SolidWorks and DWG files can be managed without having the full application installed.
- For other file formats not listed here, solution partners may offer additional file format plug-ins. Refer to a sales representative for more information. Also see the VAR Resource Center, Products, Data Management, SolidWorks Enterprise PDM, Partner Program.