5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 12:47 AM by Mikael Martinsson

"Material not defined for one or more shells" problem

Unspecified Unspecified

As stated in the title i have a problem with static simulation in SolidWorks 2011. I'm doing this for an assignement (I'm a student). This is a frame for an agricultural device, made out of two rectangular and two circular beams and sheet metal. I made midsurfaces for all the parts and deleted the bodys. In the Study i defined shells from midsurfaces. I am able to mesh the assembly, i also defined the material (alloy steel) but when i try to run a basic load and fixture example it plots a warning: "Material not specified to one or more shells". I have no idea what is the case with this as all the parts have material defined in the simulation tree.

I also attached the assembly in this post. I hope someone has the solution because this is pretty important to me.

• Re: "Material not defined for one or more shells" problem
          Mikael Martinsson

Hi.

I got it to run when I switched to standard mesh, global size 50 mm.

But you have more work to do to run this problem. Surfaces have gaps between them and some also interfere. Contact conditions need to be added manually. (see results below)

Skärmklipp.JPG

• Re: "Material not defined for one or more shells" problem
              Unspecified Unspecified

Thank you very very much Mikael. I tried the simulation again with removed beams (only the middle part of the frame remaining). I defined contasts manually but still, the top two parts with three holes each penetrate the top shell (as seen on the picture bellow). Would anyone know the solution for this?.

To answer your question about the gaps: I believe you mean the gaps between the shells and rectangular beams. They are there because the shell of the rectangular beam itself is generated using midsurface of the beam and is therefore narower and lower then the actual beam (by 2,5 mm in each direction). I can alter the measurements of the holes for beams and get the edge to surface contact, i was just worried i would change my frame too much. I also read on Solidworks help page that you can mesh and simulate shells with gaps inbetween and the program would somehow still bond them together?

The other question i have is: i used midsurface generated shells for this simulation. How important is shell thickness and how do this shells represent the cross section

I posted the simulation results bellow and also the new file.

characteristics of sheet metal. Orgininal thickness of metal is 15mm.sim.jpg