11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2013 9:21 AM by Charles Culp

Need help with surface

Jens Leander

Hey Guys

I am an machine engeneering stud from denmark, I am trying to learn something more about surfacing in solidworks. But now I am facing a problem with a "hobby" projekt i am doing, just for fun.

I really hope someone can help me on this. Not just finishing my model, but also teaching me something.

I have modelled this, it is a seet for a chair. But i am pretty much struggeling with adding something underneath it for mounting a chair leg.

I can easily add something which look awful, but I need to blend it perfectly and tangent into the curves of the chair. I thought about something as simple as a hole, but i need to extrude something to do that hole in.

I have attached my solidworks file. 

Let me know if i am not clear enough

/ Jens

Sorry for bad english.

• Re: Need help with surface
          Louis Liu

hello,it's my pleasure to talk about this problem with you,do you want to add some leg undereath the seat?or something you want to

do,i just done't understand completely.

i am an chinese engineer,my english is not so good,hope you understand!but i believe that we can resolve this problem,isn't it?

Jens Leander

Hey Louis thank you for your help :) Yes I want to add a leg, but first of all I want to add something underneath my chair seat part to add the leg into.

You know, some kind of hole for a round chair leg.

Louis Liu

Jens and Charles,

i really admire the way which Charles Culp has done in file Chair_v2.sldprt.as James said,the seat has to be cut a little bit extra material

which is sticking through on the seat of chair.my opinion is that Chair_v2.sldprt has no problem,but the feature for the boundray extrude is no necessary to be  done by solid feature.i would like to do the boundray extrude with surfaces(if i were),and knit them to a whole solide part .in this way,you might not  worry about if there are some extra material out there.anyway,i don't really think it is suit for you.

Jens Leander

Chair two.png

Hello again i have drawn something in paint to illustrate what i am looking for:

Charles Culp

Jens,

I have a newer version of SolidWorks than you, so you might not be able to open this file. I have attached it anyway. Finish the sketch in Sketch 7 by mirroring it to create a complete enclosed sketch. Then extrude up, with an End Condition of "Up to Body". Then select the chair as the body to terminate the extrude.

Now you can use the Fillet command to create a fillet around the base. There is an additional option for Curvature Continuous in the fillet, and I would prefer to keep this on. Unfortunately, the shape of the seat bottom does not allow for a large fillet with this option turned on. Consider deleting these faces, and replacing with a boundary surface, with end conditions of curvature continuous.

Stool-Transition.PNG

Jens Leander

Thank you so much for that Charles Culp. It was a very nice and SIMPLE way to solve this. I will mark your post as correct.

But.. I am still looking for some other ways of doing this, maybe something a bit more advanced with some surfaces or something which I can learn from

Thank you again Charles

Charles Culp

Sure. Instead of extending the extrude "up to body", do it a fixed distance, about 90 mm from the seat bottom (I used 200mm).

Then, create a sketch on the Top Plane that is the shape you want to be your split line on the seat bottom. Then use split line to create this on the seat bottom (see image below).

Stol_SplitLineSeatBottom.PNG

Now you can use Boundary Boss/Base to create a nice, smooth, and fully curvature continous transition between the two.

Stol_BoundaryBossCurvatureToFace.PNG

Except this gives an error!

Stol_BoundaryBossError.PNG

So now we must use surfacing tools. Delete Face to each section.

Stol_DeleteFace.PNG

Then use Surface>Boundary Surface

Stol_BoundarySurface.PNG

And finally Surface>Knit to create it back to a solid.

Stol_Surfacing.PNG

I have also uploaded this file again.

Jens Leander

Thansk again Charles.

Your last post really gave me something I was playing around with the first thing you did (boundary boss/bass). I changed some of the sketches and then i had this:

Chair_v2.3.PNG

But when taking a closer look at the other side i explored this:

Chair_v2.1.PNG

Marked with blue:

Chair_v2.4.PNG

How would you get rid of that thing?:)

I have attached the SW file

And last thing; in your last post you figured it all out with surfaces. But how do you "fill" up so it will not just be a shell anymore but a solid?

I really appreciate your help thank you!

James Moynagh

Jens,

If you look at Charles model he has delete face action after the extrusion for the stand part, that is how he got it back to a surface, you missed out that part, so the should get rid of that extra material which is sticking through on the seat of chair.

Charles Culp

Yes, sorry, I never responded. The area above the seat is caused because you used solid boundary, instead of surface boundary. I suggest using surface boundary, then you won't have this problem.

The way to convert surfaces to solid is to use the Surfacing>Knit tool. Then check the "make solid" checkbox when you knit all the surfaces together, if they enclose a solid. This is the last image in my above post.

Louis Liu

Jens and Charles,

i really admire the way which Charles Culp has done in file Chair_v2.sldprt.as James said,the seat has to be cut a little bit extra material

which is sticking through on the seat of chair.my opinion is that Chair_v2.sldprt has no problem,but the feature for the boundray extrude is no necessary to be  done by solid feature.i would like to do the boundray extrude with surfaces(if i were),and knit them to a whole solide part .in this way,you might not  worry about if there are some extra material out there.anyway,i don't really think it is suit for you.