7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 1:29 PM by Blake Reeves

Template Won't Accept Input

Charles Gary

I am trying to create a costing template.  Below is what the Help files have for instructions.

"You can create new machined part templates for use with the Costing tool.

1. In a machined part, click Costing tool_costing_tools.gif (Tools toolbar) or Tools > Costing. 
      2. In the Costing Task Pane, under Machining Template, click Launch Template Editor. 
      3. In the Costing Template Editor, click New Tool_New_Standard.gif. 
      4. In the New Costing Template dialog box, click Template for machined parts costing_machining_template.gif, then click OK. 
      5. Enter data on the Stock Material screen.  
        You cannot save the template until you enter data on the Stock Material screen.
      6. Enter data on the General, Cut (Plate Stock), Mill, Drill, Library Features, and Custom screens as necessary. 
      7. Click Save Tool_Save_Standard.gif. 
      8. In the Save As dialog box, for File name, type a template name and click Save. 
      9. Close the Costing Template Editor."

Step 6 is where I am being thwarted.  I am trying to put data into the Operations section of the template, but when I look at the menu on the left the word Operations is gray, not black, and when I try to define things on the "Cut(Plate Stock)" page I can type machine names into the section where they go and assign costs for the machines and labor, but I am not allowed to select a default machine for a selected material.  I can click the save icon until my fingers fall off, but if I switch pages and then come back all lof the machine information I entered is gone.  If I go down to the "Filters" section and click on "Machine", the only word shown in the drop-down menu is "Select Machine", and not a choice between any of the machines I've listed for cutting material.  There are quite a few other problems on other pages in the Operations section, and it leaves me wondering where I'm going wrong.  Right now I have so many questions on how to make this feature work for me I am at a loss where to begin.

Charlie

• Re: Template Won't Accept Input
          Blake Reeves

Hi Charlie,

This is an odd issue, I will look into this as well, for now I would suggest creating a template from one of the provided default templates. If you are using the default template and modifying it, it is a read-only document so when you make a change and save it, you are saving it as a new template. As a result you can now modify this copy of the template and use it as your starting point in template-creation.

Of course, because you are saving it as a new template, you must go back to the drop down in the Costing Task Pane and select the new template that you have created as a result before you can see the changes take effect.

Let me know if this helps!

-Blake

• Re: Template Won't Accept Input
              Charles Gary

Hi Blake,

This helped a lot.  I saved the default template with a new name and added some material to the plate library to match what I have.  The only part that confused me was even after setting the machine preference to "laser" for the material in question I had to change the default setting to "laser" before Costing would put any kind of dollar value on the Cut Path operations.  The attached picture shows the settings I'm talking about.

Template001.PNG

Thanks for reading and responding.

Charlie