1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2013 9:53 AM by John Matrishon

Solidworks Composer (aka 3D Via) - Is this the right move?

Brian Watts

Solidworks People,

I would appreciate your views and comments on the following:

Recently we had a demostration from our VAR on this product and general opinion from those who watched it, were impressed. I have been tasked by my MD to find more views and opinions on Solidworks Composer, hence here we are!

We are in the marine business (water jet propulsion) and have a service department which provides a 'after sales' / warranty customer service for routine maintenance, service and spares. They will also be providing manuals for our products, so using our models from engineering will be a great start.

What I want to also hear from those who use this: what are the benifits and have you seen improvement in the business i.e. better work flow, reduced costing, improve communication.

How quickly can someone be able use this? I understand that you do not need CAD experience, hence the service deptartment would find this suitable. Although I personally would like some input as I am still learing our products and this could be a benifit for both parties.

The costing has been drafted to me, of which is not an issue at this stage, but to help me put foward a case, your valued opinions will be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks in advance....Brian

(we currenly store all our SW models in the PDM Workgroup / Vault)

• Re: Solidworks Composer (aka 3D Via) - Is this the right move?
          John Matrishon

Well Brian, all I can tell you is that I really am thankful to have Composer.  It has opened up new possibilites and made working with these types of documents much less painful.  Basically we are just scratching the surface with Composer, but the reponse to how the images are looking has really be excellent.  Digital photos are being replaced by much clearer images.  Depending on the size of your company I would also think about getting the Network licencse version, this way you can add more seats if needed, and make sure multiple people can learn it.  Now from a CAD to Composer learning curve, your service department might find it easier to use than you.  It is not SolidWorks,nor should it be.  It is a publishing package at heart, so your CAD brain needs to be put on the desk and put your composer brain in.  Definately get the training as well! 

Another benefit I feel is that you are in total control of when you want to update the "actors" in composer, that along with being able to create images and exploded views so easily has really made me enjoy using it.  Use your VAR, ask alot of questions, and you'll be sure to have fun with it as well as get good work done.  Remember, this is not a photo realistic rendering package, but you have Photoview 360 for that.  Hope that helps!