12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 9:30 AM by Stephen Reed

workgroup PDM to ePDM

Chris Chu

How complicated to move from PDMw to ePDM?  Should I start from the scratch or  migrate documents between the 2 systems?

Thx

• Re: workgroup PDM to ePDM
          Joy Garon

Hi Chris -

Some questions:

How big a vault do you have?

And, I'm hoping it's just one vault?

Are you just using revisions or are you using lifecycles too?

Did you set it up and use it or did you keep modifying how it was set up (revisions, etc)?

The tool and the process are pretty mature now so I don't forsee any big issues.

To make it really easy you can migrate just the latest versions of all the files.

The key to success is having someone who knows both systems to assist.

If you plan on doing it yourselves, spend a month learning, refining and prototyping EPDM before you move users and files.

Best of luck to you...

Joy

Chris Chu

Joy,

The Vault is not that big - less then 20 gig and one vault only

We only use Vault to keep the ref. link and avoid doulble the share parts.  We archive all the old rev. outside the vault. Basically, we only keep the current rev. in Vault (no rev. control at all)

Chris

Joy Garon

Hi Chris -

That's a dream vault to migrate

Go for it...

Joy

Chris Chu

Thx, Joy

Thats all I want to know

By the way, are you the Joy  who attended the disscussion "PDM and Data Management" in Swan Hotel on Sunday Jan. 20???

Chris

Peter Farnham

Hi Joy,

Is there a simplified version of Epdm?

We only use Wpdm for revision control (no life cycles) and so don't want or require all the bells and whistles that goes with Epdm.

As you know wpdm is free and epdm is quite expensive and so a simplified version would be a good replacement.

What main differences are there between the two?

Regards

Pete

Joy Garon

Hi Peter -

Nope - no simplified version of EPDM. However, the good news is that if you only want to use it for checking in/out you can make it as simple as you desire.

The primary differences are:

• EPDM scales/integrates better than WPDM as content grows (it is hosted on an industry standard database MS SQL Server)
                            • EPDM is better for distributed, collaborative design teams (design teams not all located under one roof)
                            • EPDM has more granular permission controls
                            • EPDM is better suited to managing non-CAD documents
                            • EPDM has integrated workflows (so you can automate approval processes and such)
                              • These workflows also can be used to automate the creation of PDF's, XML exports, revision stamping, etc

If all you need is Workgroup, why are you looking to move to EPDM now?

Joy

As you know, I've used both of them

Joy

Stephen Reed

From the description of how you are using pdm, I recommend staying with WorkGroup PDM.  As you noted, EPDM is quite expensive and you're going to need not just software, but setup, migration, admin training & user training, all that adds up.

Everything Joy said about EPDM is accurate, however, unless you are going to take advantage of those features of EPDM, WorkGroup will work quite nicely. We just made the switch; not because WorkGroup wouldn't do the job, but mostly we just outgrew it. Our vault at the time of migration was over 400gb. We also noticed that the bigger it got and more users we added (19 users at one point), the more unstable it got. I'm not sure which was the major culprit. Anyway, we made the move and there is no going back.

My main complaint is that it seems everything you do in EPDM is much more complex. For example, you have a new part you want to check in, WorkGroup is just a few clicks. Not so in EPDM, much more involved. My experience has been this is true with about everything that they both do, however, EPDM does a lot more.

So, it is just what your needs are, but sounds like WorkGroup will do everything you need to do.  One other consideration; I hear SolidWorks is no longer developing WorkGroup but it is still available for the forseeable future. My feeling is that they want everyone to go to EPDM or Enovia (also part of Dassault).

Hope this helps some,

Steve

Jason Capriotti

Stephen, the check-in process is roughly the same in either product, right click and select Check-in.....two clicks plus one to confirm and leave a comment.

Most of the additional complexity comes on the administrative side as you can configure so much. But as Joy mentioned, you can make it dead simple with no workflows and only one state where all you do is check-in and checkout. We do that for Project files that aren't drawings. The data card simply stores the users name and project number (which is inherited from the project folder) so the user only has to checkout/checkin.

Stephen Reed

That's probably true; maybe you can make it as simple as WorkGroup PDM. However, if you don't need the additional control and features, why spend several thousand dollars for EPDM just to end up with the same thing as WorkGroup, which costs nothing (with either SW Pro or Premium)?

Jason Capriotti

You probably don't......although maybe you could get into a performace issue with Workgroup if enough people are in there. Been long time since I've seen Workgroup so I'm not sure. Sounds like what prompted you to upgrade to Enterprise.

Stephen Reed

First off, my apologies to Chris C, I didn't mean to hijack his thread. I was just wanted to help him make an informed decision; that's what community is all about.

Jason, you are correct on the performance hit; that is the main reason we made the switch. It seems that the more people on the WorkGroup vault and/or the bigger it gets, the more unstable it gets. There may be a tipping point where it suddenly becomes noticeable, not sure about that, just know that we started having problems after about 200 gigs and 15 users.  As WorkGroup PDM Admin, I pushed to go to EPDM but it has been somewhat painful.

Thanks,

Steve