7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2013 3:18 PM by Jared Conway

Serious Help Needed

Ridvan Donmez

I am very new to the Flow Simulation. I am using 2012 Premium Edition. I have the tutorial published by Solidworks about Solidworks Flow Simulation. I was working on the ball valve example, the first example. I have followed the steps. The window for "RUN" command is opened and i pushed the "RUN" button. Nothing changed on the screen. The solver didn't open.

What are the possible reasons for this? I made some search in the previous discussions but not able to find a problem like that. Since my knowledge is really small, i need your help.

• Re: Serious Help Needed
          Jared Conway

Ridvan, are you talking about FloXpress or Flow Simulation? How do you access it?

In the long run, what type of analysis are you trying to do? If you're using FloXpress you might be limited by what you can do.

Can you post a screenshot of what you see on the screen when you click run?

Ridvan Donmez

Thank you Jared.I am using Solidworks Flow Simulation not the Floxpress. As i told in my first post, i have been following the tutorial published by Solidworks.

The problem is that, when i clicked run, nothing changes on the screen and it continues like nothing has happened. No response from the program. Solver window is not opening.

I tried to open the already completed examples in the Validation Examples folder, that is in the install directory and again no response is taken from the program. It is not a crash, it is no response.

Before clicking Run:

ball valve.jpg

After clicking Run:

ball valve 2.jpg

Jared Conway

all of those files are located in protected windows directories.

can you try making a tube that is closed at both ends, with flow on one end, pressure on the other, save it to your desktop and try running it?

Ridvan Donmez

Jared, instead of drawing a tube i used the ball valve example in the "floxpress tutorial" in the tutorials section. I added lids to both ends saved as and it worked surprisingly (I thought i won't be able to the solver window forever). But when i try to run the files from the folders located in the install directory of "Solidworks Flow Simulation--->Validation Examples" or "Solidworks Flow Simulation---->Examples, again no response.

Do i have to draw the parts used in the tutorials to work on them? What should i do to visualise the results of Validation Examples?

I tried coping the files from these folders to the desktop but it gave strange errors when i opened them, such as unable to locate file.

Ridvan Donmez

Somehow, i managed to work on the files located in the install directory and there was no error.  I firstly open the file from the install directory, then saved to the desktop during setting the conditions for the analysis. After that it started working. But if i use it without saving, again no response taken. I hope this didn't work by chance

Jared, since i am new, i can not clearly express myself, so you can have difficulty in answering and understanding my questions. Sorry for that. I will have a better understanding of the logic of the program in the future i hope.

Jared, your help is muchly appreciated. Thank you for devoting your time. If there is some rule or guideline for opening the files, which files to open, how certain parts located in various directories are opened i would like to know it.

Jared Conway

Hi Ridvan, glad I could help.

I think your best bet for working on the tutorial files is to open them from the flow directory and then use the pack and go command to save a copy to your desktop. That will make a copy of them and update the references so that it looks for the files on your desktop. I think you might have had issues with just copying the assembly because it couldn't get to the files otherwise.

What would be cool is if you could click a link in the tutorial that runs an API that copies the files to your desktop automatically. That would get around this problem!

Good luck with Flow. Don't hestitate to post here or send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Jared Conway

Hi Ridvan, I created this enhancement request in the customer portal: 1-3443727688 about this topic. Feel free to create one yourself and reference mine.

Something to note, on my system, the tutorial files run fine from the install directory. I'm running 2013 Sp2.0 x64 on windows 7 x64. But also my UAC is completely disabled, i'm an admin on my computer and my AV/AS tools are set to very low. That might have a positive effect on my ability to do this. It is still a good idea to work in full permissions directories.