12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2018 10:24 AM by Eric Allen

SW stealing focus

on 2006 28 10:46 Paul Salvador wrote:
      > I have written to SW directly about this problem and also filled out a complaint and
      > SW says this does not happen on their end!?!?!?
      > Well, why would I write to them if it did do that?? Why would I waste my time??
      > Another case of the developer is always right and the customer is wrong?
      >
      > Things that make you go,... hmm?
      They don't see this behavior because they never test with parts that takes more than 20 seconds to rebuild...

-Marc
        • SW stealing focus
          It happens in SW2004, 2005, 2006 and I think 2007:
          When SolidWorks is working on something (let say it rebuilds a part), I like to do some other things besides looking at the hourglass icon such as reading my email. But SW always steal the focus at some time and insist at showing me its white sceen.
          It did not really stole the focus as it's not the highlighted program in the task bar and if I click on the Outlook task icon it is minimized instead of being grought back to view...
          Anyway, couldn't SW be more civilized and stay minimized when it's asked to?
          Thanks,
          -Marc
            • SW stealing focus
              David Edwards
              what is worse is when you are using the SW Task Scheduler to print off a set of drawings. Every time that is opens and closes it steals the focus, even when it is in the background. It makes it nearly impossible to do anything constructive while it is running.
            • SW stealing focus
              I have written to SW directly about this problem and also filled out a complaint and SW says this does not happen on their end!?!?!?
              Well, why would I write to them if it did do that?? Why would I waste my time??
              Another case of the developer is always right and the customer is wrong?

Things that make you go,... hmm?
              • SW stealing focus
                Yes I observed what you described with other programs but it's different with SolidWorks and I think it's a bug. I'll try to better explain it:
                I'm working in SolidWorks. Let's say I exit a sketch and the part needs to be rebuilt.
                I know it will take some time so I switch to Outlook and start reading some emails.
                After a while SolidWorks does not steal the focus but shows me a blank screen -and it's maybe about alfway into its rebuild computations.
                If I click on the Outlook button in the taskbar Outlook minimizes so it still had focus -it's just that SolidWorks decided to draw a white screen and go back to it's thing...
                • SW stealing focus
                  I have tried this. It doesn't work for the problems I described.
                  It's a SolidWorks bug.
                  -Marc
                  • SW stealing focus
                    that should be 'etiquette'
                    • SW stealing focus
                      Someone needs to author a book of program-user interaction ediquette...and Adobe, in particular, needs to read it.
                      • SW stealing focus
                        Go to microsoft website search for Tweak UI or MS power toys and look for Tweak UI, you can manage how windows handles the focus, it works great 90% of the time. It also allows you to adjust many other features in windows.

If you use an LCD monitor try the clear type manager, it comes very close to replicating the text quality found on CRTS, absolutely no performance woes with SW .

on 2006 19 15:54 Marc Gibeault wrote:
                        > It happens in SW2004, 2005, 2006 and I think 2007:
                        > When SolidWorks is working on something (let say it rebuilds a part), I like to
                        > do some other things besides looking at the hourglass icon such as reading my
                        > email. But SW always steal the focus at some time and insist at showing me its
                        > white sceen.
                        > It did not really stole the focus as it's not the highlighted program in the
                        > task bar and if I click on the Outlook task icon it is minimized instead of
                        > being grought back to view...
                        > Anyway, couldn't SW be more civilized and stay minimized when it's asked to?
                        > Thanks,
                        > -Marc
                        • SW stealing focus
                          John,

Do you know that by selecting the pencil icon, you can edit your posting?

Kevin.
                          • Re: SW stealing focus
                            Larry Kutcher
                            I've seen that as well. Try as I like to get somewhere else whileSW is crunching and all you get is a white screen"seemingly" locking up the computer. Go to the task mgrand it shows that SW is still running, so then "noproblems"...?

I also have it where say,  I'm rendering an object, its inprocess, actually go to outlook successfully, but as soon as the"rendering is rendered" - it pulls the focus back toSW and Outlook is then in the background.

"Same same" or is this something different?

-Kutch
                            • Re: SW stealing focus
                              Eric Allen

I know this thread is very old, but I'm still having this problem. I have a tendency to start working in another program while I wait a few minutes for a save or rebuild on my large assembly. I'll be typing away on the keyboard and all of a sudden SW pops to the front of the screen and all of a sudden I'm entering a bunch of hot keys into SW. This causes another delay on the SW file while I wait for it to accept all of these hotkeys and then I have to undo whatever I accidently did. This is happening many times a day. Has anyone found a solution to this?

I tried playing with this registry key without any luck:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout