13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2013 3:36 AM by Greg Hynd

Extreme slow down

Jason Lackey

Not sure if this is more for the drawing, or the assembly section but here is my issue:

I have major slow downs when creating a drawings of assemblies.  The assemblies are fairly large.  A parts only count on the largest one we've done to day is 6700 parts (actual instance count of all part files in the model).

Now, the assembly works pretty well, and I don't have too much lag while working in the assembly, but once I start creating the drawing, this is when things get hairy.

I have all items contrained, with all degrees of freedom locked down.  There is hardware models in the assembly, but they are not extremely detalied, mainly overall profile size, no threads modeled.  As much as possible is contained in sub assemblies so there are not too many small items at the top level assembly.

The first six or seven pages were no issue and worked well, but once I started getting into page 8 and beyond, the load times became extreme, and that is not hyperbole.  If I go to the model and make an update, and then switch back to the drawing, it has taken up to 1.5 hours to complete load and update the drawing to where I can start interacting with SolidWorks again.

I thought maybe adding hardware into the model may have been causing the issue on the last system drawing I did, so instead of putting a screw in every hole etc., I tried doing one piece of hardware per mounting hole groups for graphical representation only thinkinig that less hardwaer would help outm but that is not the case at all.

As you can imagine, sitting here for an hour staring at a white screen is rather frustrating, and also is not a good feeling when your boss walks by three or four times, and you are just sitting there staring blankly.  I refuse to believe that companies that have large assemblies like this don't add hardware into their models, but hey, maybe that is the case.

Here is a quick break down of what I do so you can have an idea and maybe suggest a different work flow:

While in the assembly, I create a configuration for each step of the build up to create exploded views and their respective break out lines (trust me, I have gone the display state only route, and it does not create what I want, so that option is out.)  In each configuration, I of course hide the components not necessary for that view.  I have tried going to suppression route instead of hiding, and it had no effect in regards to speeding up anything, and of course concurrently suppresses constraints that I may not want suppressed, so I have taken the suppression option out of the equation.  I do link the view states to the configuration, not sure if that has any effect or not.  Once I h ave all of the views set up in the model, I start creating the drawing, and of course, that's when all goes awry.

Any help or suggestions anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated, as I am no losing foothold on the way drawings are being done as they are taking too long, and if this keeps up, I will pretty much be forced to leave hardware out of the models all together, and just create view states and place views.  And before you tell me not to worry about adding hardware, my installers are often in remote locations where trips to the hardware store are either not an option, or need to be complete and correct the first time, so having the correct hardware called out is imperative.

Thanks in advance,

Jason Lackey

11-9-2012 8-54-36 AM.png

• Re: Extreme slow down
          Anna Wood

What are the spec's of your computer?

Are you working locally or are all of your models up on a server?

When you are waiting 1.5 hours what do you think SolidWorks is doing?  Is it accessing files, rebuilding views or what other process do you think it is getting hung up on?

Cheers,

Anna

Kieran Choy

Assuming you're using the Hidden Lines Removed display option, you've got to remember that SolidWorks has to work out which components are hidden, then draw outlines for all of the rest of the visible components. In a drawing, that's for every view on show.

Try using the Shaded with no outlines option to see if it speeds anything up. If possible, try creating configs for as many components that remove unnecessary fillets and small details, especially non-square geometry, and use those in the assembly.

Jason Lackey

I will give it a try. but as I have 9 pages worth of views, and at least three views on each sheet, and it's taking almost an hour to change the view to shaded with no lines, that's about three days worth of conversion. 

Is it possible that having 15 or so configurations with linked display states is causing this?

An hour to wait for the drawing to load seems extreme, even with having to draw the outlines of each component.

Anna Wood

Jason,

Yes, it seems extreme.  Since we can't see your design or modeling techniques it is hard to say what is happening.

I would be getting your SolidWorks reseller out to your place to sit down with you and see if they can help you with some techniques for working with your drawings.

I will say that your computer is a bit weak.  You are video card rich and cpu poor with your system.  SolidWorks needs cpu power to function best.  Is that the whole issue, not likely.  I am sure it is a combination of many things.

Are you sure you are not maxing out your memory on your computer?  What are your settings in the Document Properties on the assembly and your slddrw for Image Quality?  You may need to bring that down a bit if it is cranked up high.

Are you taking advantage of Lightweight and Speedpaks in your assembly?  Large Assembly Mode?

If you can get permission to pack and go your assembly and drawing I could open it up on my high end Boxx system and see if it works better.  I have a W4920 Extreme at 4.75 ghz and 32 gigs of RAM with SSD drives and a Quadro 600.  Would give you an idea if you are hardware constrained.  My e-mail is in my profile.  I can setup a Dropbox share to exchange files.

CHeers,

Anna

Jason Lackey

2-21-2013 1-14-20 PM.jpg

2-21-2013 1-13-00 PM.jpg

Anna,

This is what it looks like while its hung up.  I wish I could send you the file to look at, but unfortunately it's highly secretive.  I appreciate the offer though.

I have been told by my SW administrator not to use speedpacks and lightweight options because their own issues.  As this is the first place that I have used SW at (Inventor user previously), I had no reason to believe otherwise, but now I am not so sure there they would cause any more issues than what I am already experiencing, although I have been informed that speedpack wreaks havoc in the PDM that we use (KeyTech).

I did turn down the image quality to half, it was at 3/4. 

I have been asking about beefing up the system, but there is hesitance from above (you know how that goes).

I do have a feeling some of the past modeling practices (prior to me starting here) may have something to do with it, so I am trying to work around some of that now (like creating mulitbody parts and inserting hardware into the part file instead of creating an assembly, which SW does not seem to be able to keep the reference as it always shows up as a broken reference in the part file design tree).

It didn't seem to be as bad when there was no hardware though, so I am wandering if adding hardware is the culprit.  I keep the hardware models as dumbed down as possible, and hace done my best to capture all of the degrees of freedom, but it doesnt seem to help.  Do companies the have larger assemblies not place hardware in the models?

Paul Cullen

Hi Jason

I am not sure if it will make things any better for you, but have you tried to use the freeze bar in your part files. If you roll the freeze bar to the bottom of the feature tree in your part files SolidWorks will not rebuild the part file when you rebuild the assembly so the rebuild times of your assembly will be a lot quicker. Also make sure verification on rebuild is turned off as this will take your parts and assemblies longer to rebuild.

Paul

Jason Lackey

I have not tried, or even heard of the freeze bar feature.  I will have to try it going forward.  Unfortunately, for this model, there are just too many parts to open up and do that too.  Thanks for the suggestion though, I will definitely try that on the next project.

Anna Wood

Drawings are one area of SolidWorks that takes advantage of multi-cores.  Each drawing view will regenerate on its own thread.

I am not sure what to tell you.  It is hard to troubleshoot when we can't see what you are working with.

I suggest to get your SolidWorks reseller in for a visit.  Not the CAD admin at the company you work for.  Get the Apllication Engineers from the place your company purchases SolidWorks to come in and spend some time with you.  They can offer help on how to optimize practices to help speed up your drawings.

Cheers,

Anna

Greg Hynd

What I do is not use the multiple page sheets. If I need another page I start a new drawing. This will speed up your drawings.