6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2013 10:08 AM by Jeremy Waldner

Drawing won't open properly, can't reference to document

Jeremy Waldner

Hello everyone,

I am running SW 21012 sp2, and have started experiencing strange issues with drawings.

When opening drawings on our server, all the model views will be empty, save for boxes with dashed X's (edit...I cleared the checkboxes in tools>option>system option>advanced and I now get prompted to point to the referenced file. The reference does not seem to get saved when I save the drawing, though, as the same thing happens when I close everything and try opening it again) where the model items should be. This happens with both assembly drawings and part drawings.

If I have the assembly or part open that the drawing references, then the drawing will load fine. It also loads properly when I select both the part and drawing as well.

These same drawings open and reference properly on other computers in our system.

I can move these files onto my computer and open them locally, and the drawing will find the part it is referenced to properly.

I have tried everything explained here to no avail.

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/205608

when I go to open file dialogue, select the drawing, and click the 'reference' button, I get and error. "Cannot edit file reference. Either file is not a valid Solidworks document, or has not been saved in Solidworks 97 or later."

I have since upgraded to SP5, and it has made no difference.

Thanks

• Re: Drawing won't open properly, can't reference to document
          Steven Mills

A good starting point to investigate this is to open the drawing, then go to File > Find Referances.

Also when you are first opening a file, there is a button called "References" that comes up when you have a file selected but before you actually open it. Confirming that the information in these places is correct will help solve this problem.

Off hand, I'm wondering if the drawing is referencing something on the computer it was orginally on, but then when you open it on your computer that information isn't there. Or you need some kind of special permission to get to those files?

Or maybe your opening files out of a compressed (.zip) folder. Sometimes SW has problems opening referenced files from such things.

Jeremy Waldner

Thanks Steven,

Once file is open and I have pointed to the correct part file, File>Find References will show the correct file path, and the correct file.

If I cancel out of the open file dialogue, however, File>Find Reference will show the correct file path and the correct file, but will append "(not open)" to the file name shown.

If I hit the "References" button when selecting the drawing document inside the 'Open File' dialogue, I get an error message: "Cannot edit file reference. Either file is not a valid Solidworks document, or has not been saved in Solidworks 97 or later."

The files are saved as SW 2012 and open fine on other machines

I don't have these issues on the other computers in our system.

John Burrill

Jeremy, verify that the checkbox labelled 'search file locations for external references,' is unchecked.  It's in in Options:System Options: External References.  When checked, Solidworks goes through a search algorythm that doesn't include the location stored in the assembly.  When unchecked, Solidworks will look for assembly references in the locations they were loaded from when the assembly was last saved.

John

Jerry Steiger

Jeremy,

Do you use a PDM system? I have seen times when references got messed up and SW was looking for files on one of the other user's computers. This seemed to be related to issues with WPDM, but I'm not completely sure about that. We definitely had problems with lost references when we were using Activault, but that was many years ago, so it may no longer be an issue.

Jerry S.