12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2013 11:22 AM by Glenn Schroeder

unattach blocks or notes from view

perry leets

Is there a way to unattach blocks or notes from a view?

I know this has been asked before some years ago but the "answers" were just work arounds to a problem that has existed in SW for a long time.

Apparently a problem that is just too difficult for SW programmers to fix (have any of these guys actually worked as drafters/engineers?)

Has the situation improved since then, or are we still forced to work around these known problems?

thanks

• Re: unattach blocks or notes from view
          Glenn Schroeder

I just click on the note (or whatever), Ctrl+X, then click outside the drawing view and Ctrl+V.  That seems easy enough to me.

Mark Kaiser

To add a bit to Glenn's notes:  after you cntrl-x the block from the drawing view, lock the sheet focus, then cntrl-v.  The block will now be locked to the drawing sheet.

I'm guessing you have many drawing views covering your entire drawing, with the boundary boxes possibly overlapping?

Rick McDonald

How do you lock the sheet focus?

I'm new to SW so I don't have the tricks down yet, but I have seen and been annoyed by the attachment of text or blocks to views as Perry indicates.

It seems to be very difficult to place text without it attaching to a near by view and then the view area expands to include the text and moving the view also moves the text (or is it the other way around - or both?)

I am using SW2012 standard SP2

Matthew Lorono

Rick,

This is a matter of making sure your focus is set to the sheet.  You can set sheet focus by double LMB clicking on the drawing sheet in an open area, or by RMB'ing on the drawing sheet in an open area and selecting Lock Sheet Focus.  The same can be done for drawing views if you wish to make sure annotations are attached to a particular drawing view.

Christian Chu

I always lock sheet foucus before insert any note or block to avoid it's attached to the view

Matthew Lorono

Everyone,

How important is it to be able to change the view attachment of blocks and sketch geometry.  This forum posting is the first time I've personally seen a question about this.  (There are plenty of requests to be able to do this with notes.)

Christian Chu

It's not very important for the note/block not to be attached to the view.  Sometimes the views take all the space and you only have a corner left for the notes. Then you decide to move the views around for better fit and guess what happens - the note which is attached wiht a view and moved with it and  might overlap another view or be out of the block  - that's is the only reason I don't want any note/block attached to the view - sometimes I just click somewhere outside the paper space far away from the view before inserting a note  instead of locking the sheet focus

It'd be nice if there is an option to attach note/block to the view instead of being attached by default

Matthew Lorono

Chris,

There is currently the ability to attach notes to any view or to the drawing sheet, as noted above.  Do you feel it is important to be able to change that attachment on existing blocks?

Christian Chu

I'd used Autodesk Inventor about 10 yrs before switching to SW 4yrs ago. I don't know about this feature on the new Invetor release now. Back in 2007, when I inserted a note/block to the drawing, it's not attached to any view by default. If I remember correctlhy, it's bit tricky to attach a note to the view in the older release of Inventor.

Most of parts I modeled are complcated and included many featurs and as a result, the drawings are also included many views I always got into trouble to find a place to insert the notes (at least 7 lines) - As  I mentioned on the previous mesg, On a daily basic,  I  many times move the views around to have them fit better on the paper space and it bothers me to relocate the notes becuaes it's moved with the view.

To me, it's nice if the note/block is not attched to anything when it's inserted to the drawing becuase it's easy on SW if you want to attach it to the view

Glenn Schroeder

Matthew,

Since you addressed your question to everyone, I'll give my opinion.  I don't think it's important at all.  As I said above, it's easy enough to cut and paste, so I don't see any need to invest any time or resources in a new function to change the view attachment of blocks, sketch entities, notes or anything else.  If the sheet is full when inserting a note (or whatever) you can insert it off the sheet and then drag it where you want.

Matthew Lorono

Perry,

Hi. Which version of SolidWorks are you currently using?  Can you go into more detail about your particular scenario where you need to unattach notes and blocks?  Also, have you checked the enhancement request database to see if this has been requested by other users or to submit a new request for this capability?