14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2013 5:34 PM by Justin Strempke

Curved part with orthotropic material analysis

Justin Strempke

I just have a question at this point, as I havne't gotten to far into this project as of yet.  I have a curved laminate panel, say 180-deg so half a cylinder.  If I apply an orthotropic material with the reference CSYS at one end/edge, I assume the material will be applied uniformly as such, without considering the lay of the curve.  Otherwise, you would be able to apply the material to the surface.  I ran a test part, and sure enough I get a sort of strain discontinuity at the angle where the primary direction changes.

My question is how to properly simulate this type of structure/material combination, or is it simply beyond the scope of SWSim?  I understand if there are flanges and such, that they can be made as seperate parts and have different ref CSYS to apply the material, but over a large curved section it become tedious (and rediculous) to try to parse into essentially a polygon with tangent sections.

Has anyone done this type of analysis and can provide any insight?  Thanks!