11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2013 12:08 PM by Joy Garon

Anyone have a tool to open and save Word on state change?

Joy Garon

Hello All,

I thought that before I re-invented the wheel, I'd ask the community first.

Does anyone have a tool (add-in or etc.) that will open, save and print a PDF on the state change of a Microsoft Word document.

I'd settle for open and save :-)

Thanks is advance,

Joy

• Re: Anyone have a tool to open and save Word on state change?
          Tim Webb

I can help with that. It's vb.net and it will take a few minutes to dig it up.

Tim Webb

Ok, here it is!

<Removed attachment due to being incomplete>

Orionl Lidji

Hi Tim,

I tried to upload the dlls into the ePDM Administration but got some error messages that the files cannot be loaded.

which of the files supposed to be the one to be use?

Could you Upload new Zip file of the relevant file (as a close application)?

I manage Word documents (linked to the vault using Custom properties and fields on the Document), but in order to update these Fields use the "AutoOpen" + "Save Active Doc" and "Close Active Doc". This is Manual Action

Could you mange your application to do this (Open-->Update Fields-->Save-->Close) to be used with ePDM Task?

Thanks,

orion Lidji

Tim Webb

Hi Orionl,

Just to clarify, this DLL will not do what you are wanting to do as is. 

1. This addin is programmed to run when the "Tools > OpenWord" pull-down menu is clicked OpenWord menu command.JPG
                    2. The addin opens a new Word file
                    3. Inserts some the phrase "This is how it's done. Sup dawg!? :-)"
                    4. Saves & closes the Word file

To answer your question, you need to load the "OpenWord.dll" & "Interop.EdmLib.dll" files.

The code is merely a starting point without a lot of content. It needs work and customization for each person's specific needs and since Joy is a programmer I knew she could finish writing the code to do what she needs.

I also try to avoid posting specific code on updating DocProps or CustomProps because I don't know the specific way each person manages their properties either through cells, named ranges, bookmarks, or whatever.

Lastly, to make the add-in fit your specific needs, the add-in needs to filter out "which" word document or excel file to take action on, otherwise the addin will act on every document or excel file flowing through your EPDM system.

Then the addin can filter which files to process by a parent folder (i.e. "\Engineering\ECOs\" or "\Production\Job Cards\" or "\Parts Room\Parts BINs\"), source state & destination state, document name (i.e. "ECO-" or "JC-" or "BIN-" assuming the files are named ECO-9999, JC-9999, BIN-9999, etc.), when files are added, copied, deleted, shared, etc. or any combination of all of these.

Orionl, if you want to make a specific customized add-in, contact me by PM and we can work out the details.

Best regards gang,

Tim