13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 1:21 PM by Dan Eldred

Leap Motion Integration

Robin McCaffrey

Hello, I'm a member of a group called 3DiG.  We are a group developing a free/open source program to interface with the leap motion sensor bar with Solidworks.

Below is a preview video I made of our latest build.

If anyone is interested in helping out with our project or have any questions feel free to leave a message.

• Re: Leap Motion Integration
          Adrian Velazquez

I already Pre-Ordered mine, would definetely be interested in participating or providing feedback.

Richard Ritter III

I have a Leap Motion on order.  I use Solidworks and 3dvia composer as an Instructional Designer.  I am not a code writier but I would love to interact with your team and show you what I am doing and how you all can use what I am doing to benefit your team.

Consider me a 3DiG member and if it is not heavy code writing then I can contribute to the open source development proect as getting leap motion to work with SW and 3dvia composer is paramount to help my students learn as well as help me develop content for them.

Thanks,

Richie

richard.ritter@emerson.com

Nick Tanner

My Leap should turn up this week and I'm keen to try it out with SW2012. What level of expertise would one require to use your software?

Richard Ritter III

Same here, I travel next week but I will be playing with it on the plane ride on google earth in the air. 

I have SW2012 as well and I am not a code writer but would like to contribute so maybe together we can be a good usergroup for 3DiG to report backs items if they want?

I have not heard from 3DiG yet regarding their software or how to download it as an add on as I am sure there is a driver for the controller plus their software to interact.

When a rep. from 3DiG sees this let us non-code writers know what we can do as we work in the SW environemnt all day in combination with many other tools such as: google chrome, IE10, adobe articuulate suite, 3dvia composer pro version 2013 and soon to be 2014, youtube, etc...

Tom Johnson

Hi Robin,

As with the others I am not particularly great with the coding/dev side of things, but I do use the software a lot and will be happy to provide detailed feedback and participate in testing if you are looking for people.  Looking forward to this getting released .

Got my leap today, so I if you're interested I can start whenever.

Thanks,

Tom.

Duncan Gillis

Hi Robin,

Received my leap motion yesterday and sad to see no apps available in their store for SolidWorks.

Love to see what you have in place, and be a beta tester, unfortunately like everyone else, i'm on the user side of things, not a code writer. 

e-mail me at duncan.gillis@gilsondesign.com.au.

Cheers

Duncan

Johnny Higginson

Greetings All,

On behalf of 3DiG I'd like to start by saying thank you for the interest and the support. It reaffirms that not only did I want this to exist but a substantial amount of others do too.

I'm Johnny or JohnathanH on the Leap Motion forum and launched 3DiG, as heading (maybe company someday) for developing/studying/embracing new man-machine interface projects for engineering and manufacturing applications. I fill the roll of coordinator on our debut project, the addin for SolidWorks. As you guys have seen, we by we, I mean our lead software developer(Alias on the LM Forum) made something that physically works allowing Leap to drive view-port and model manipulation within SolidWorks. Unfortunately a couple months back we had device issues which halted any significant progress beyond what was shown in the demo. For a team that was spread across many timezones with a sole device this issue deflated us and let the addin collect dust. I went on to continue the efforts of 3DiG by seeking developer access of the MYO and buttress my relationship with the fledgling Mageca, the first(only?) marketplace for gesture based applications and app development that is independent of platform.

I receive my devices Friday so this weekend I will re-evaluate where we stand and make/organize the supporting documentation so I can launch the official Leap+SW git repository and allow all of you to experience it. 

By the way, the lower case 'i' in 3DiG is credence to the effort of our group to shrink away the interface between man and the machine. For example, imagine instead of having a multitude of levers, buttons and pedals you drove a monstrous crane with simple pointing and gesturing. You want to pick up a load well point to it. The crane drives its hook(or other end effector) close the load(maybe within 10 feet) then allows you to have very fine resolution control driven by hand position and gestures for the final moves. Feasibly this type of system would allow anyone very quickly to jump in and do the work. Just food for thought  

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Johnny,

3DiG   

Richard Ritter III

Any updates on this project?  I have a leap motion device and just standing by to test you API, etc...?

Thanks,

Richie

John Winterroth

Any updates on this thread?  Have one on the way.  Currently on SW2013 but moving to 2014 soon.