11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 3:32 PM by JOHN GEORGE

Create Custom Tool Bars?

Keith Heupel

Solid Works 2012

I find that the Sketch tool bar is too big to fit on the right of the screen when anchored with all its buttons shown. Yes it allows to pick the double arrow down to see more, but that is another button click and they are not visable untill then.

Is there a way to one or ALL of the following:

1)Anchor the tool bar with a double width instead of a single width?

2) Break up the Sketch tool bar into 2 (two) tool bars so both can be anchored on the right side?  Make a custom Tool bar. 

3) Make or modify a tool bar with the tools I use the most (but still having the option to see them later without reset)? Make a custom Tool bar or modify the existing tool bar.

4) Re-order the tool icons order so the ones I don't use as often to be down below that would be in the double arrow down area?

Of course this would apply to other tools also, I just used the Sketch tool bar as an example.

Thanks.

Keith

• Re: Create Custom Tool Bars?
          Frank Krockenberger

Keith,

Welcome to the forum,

I am a fan of the "S" key you can customize it for parts, assemblies, sketches and drawings.

Hit "S" on the keyboard and RMC and select costomize, then drag all your most used commands onto the tool bar.

Frank

Mark Kaiser

RMB anywhere in the tool buttons area.  If you run command manager tabs, you'll see a new command manager tab pop up that you can create and customize to anything you want.  Also, you can also drag buttons off and onto standard toolbars.  You can customize your toolbars any way you'd like, just have to figure out how.

Keith Heupel

Mark,

The "Right Mouse Button" did get me to a customize option.

I got to the Customize Toolbars.  I did NOT see a new command manager tab pop up. I do not see a way to create a new Toolbar.  Is there a Tools> Options that I have to set to allow making of a new toolbar?

I did find out though, while I am in the Customize menu under Toolbars or Commands option,  I can re-order the function buttons up and down the tool bars on the screen by Left clicking and holding till a "Underline" showed under the button. I could even take out or add in commands into existing tool bars by draging them off or on. This was partially helpful.  I would still like to keep the assigned toolbars pure so when someone else uses the program I can put that back.  

Is there a way of making new Tool bars with their own name? 

For example if I wanted a custom Sketch command tool bar I could call it "K-Sketch" so I would know it was my custom made one.

JOHN GEORGE

Keith,

RMB click on any toolbar will bring the option to customize, then on the command manager, you can add new toolbar, rename and any of your choice commands

See the picture below

sw-2012-CM-Toolbar.png

Hope this solves the problem

Keith Heupel

John and Mark,

Thank you, this has been informative. The pictures help greatly. I appreaciate the help. There is just one more step that I am missing. 

How do I turn the custom tool bar made for the Command Manager as shown above (as a tab and tool buttons above it),  to a simple custom tool bar. that I can anchor on any wall. like shown below?

Solid Works Sketch horzontal partial.gif (pull out shown not anchored)

I see I can take the command manager and place it on other walls too. I still like the old-fashened ways, of just having buttons ... to save space and go right to what I need in one button click.

Kind regards,

Keith

Mark Kaiser

I don't think you can take a command manager tab, undock it from the command manager, and have it as a standard toolbar.  My best guess at a workaround for this is to take a standard toolbar, that you currently don't use (maybe the 'web' toolbar), and customize it with the buttons you want.  Dock your newly customized standard/not standard anymore toolbar as needed.

My favorite timesaver for mouse clicks are mouse gestures.  I have it set to 8 gestures, and between this, context menus, and rmb menu, I really don't travel to the buttons very often.

Keith Heupel

That works for one tool bar. But that leaves me stranded for uses of multiple tool bars.  Good info though.

That brings up 2 more follow on questions.

A) What file is created or saved when I make these customizations/ changes? I would like to bring my customizations to another box. and put it back the way it was for someone else when I leave.

B) What is the process for requesting of SolidWorks company to add enhancements, or fixes to bugs?  Is there a form or a web site to ask or make suggestions.

Thanks.

JOHN GEORGE

A)  In your start program>Solidworks xxxx >Solidworks Tools>copy settings wizard and select save settings and follow instructions

you can use the restore settings to get it back

B) If you go to your customer portal, you can search for Enhancement requests and vote for it or request your VAR to add a new one.

Hope this helps