2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2013 3:16 AM by Jerome Deakin

Graphics card help

Jerome Deakin

Hi I am new to solidworks and this forum and would greatly appreciate the advice off experienced users. I am a university student studying mechanical engineering and this years module heavy feature solidworks for assemblies containing approx 200 parts, FEA simulations and flow simulations. I have purchased a second hand hp workstation which I have already upgraded to the following specs

Dual xeon E5540 2.4 Ghz CPU

16 gb Ram

120 gb ssd drive

My question is regarding the graphics card, I have bought a quadro fx 580, I know this is an old low end card but being a student this is all I could afford. Would this card be adequate for the assembly and the simulations as I've seen a deal on a firepro v4800, this is also a low end budget card but would the increase in memory make a substantial difference in the performance of solidworks 2012 or should I just save up and get a modern card in the future when I can afford it

Cheers

• Re: Graphics card help
          Jerry Steiger

Jerome,

Either card should work OK for the work you are doing. The V4800 may be a bit better, but I doubt that it will make a very big difference. It may be more of a problem getting approved drivers for the older card.

Jerry S.

• Re: Graphics card help
              Jerome Deakin

Cheers for the response jerry I've already checked on the solidworks site and the nvidia site and the fx 580 is supported by the 2012 version and I can download the drivers so its probably better to save up for a new quadro card like the 2000 or perhaps a firepro v5900 in the future and upgrade the ram and run another ssd in raid0 for now