1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 16, 2013 6:32 PM by Jerry Steiger

Dell FEA and CFD (Flowworks) Workstation

Robert Chivers

Hello,

Can anybody help with some information or specification on a suitable Dell solution for running FEA and CFD analysis. I appreciate that there could be better solutions from other companies but my company has a Dell corporate deal. I have no budget concerns, I just need a Dell solution that can reduce the processing time.

With regards to the FEA/CFD, is it possible to link workstation to reduce the processing?.

Does FEA/CFD benefit from multi-threading or would more physical processors be better?

Would it be better to have solid state drives?

Would a top end Graphics Card be beneficial?

My current specification is:-

Dell - Precision T7500

Intel Xeon X5675 @3.07 GHz

Ram - 12Gb

OS - Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.

Graphics - Nvidia Quadro 600

Many thanks for the help.

Rob

• Re: Dell FEA and CFD (Flowworks) Workstation
          Jerry Steiger

Rob,

You might get more responses if you ask this in the Simulation/Flow and Administration forums.

The folks who use Flow will know about the best setup for that program. I believe that is does help to have more processors. A cluster may work, but I don't know at what point the slow IO between workstations causes problems. The Flow people can also tell you how much help a high end graphics card will be. I think I have heard that Flow is one of the few places where a high end card really is useful.

The folks in Adminstration can give you the best scoop on the fastest machines. SSD seems like a good idea for most people.

Jerry S.