16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 3:19 PM by Corey Hinman

Transition Send Mail Action

Laura Whittle

I have three transitions all named the same.  One Transistion sets the revisions.

The other two send an email based on whether or not a check box variable was checked.

For testing purposes I made each transistion's email go to me.

The problem I only got one of the emails, all transitions should have fired. Is this a quirk of ePDM, that it won't send a email thru two different transitions to the same person? Or am I doing just it wrong?

• Re: Transition Send Mail Action
          Steve Ostrovsky

Without setting this up myself, I'll take a wild stab that having three transitions of the same name is the culprit. If you can rename them to be something different and you get three emails you have your answer.

Laura Whittle

I thought I could have the same name, and all of the transitions would fire.  But it does seem like only one of the transitions are firing.

Basically what I am trying to do, is have a send for approval transistion that sets some revision.

Then I will have the other transitions check if a variable is true, and send an email to an individual.

Steve Ostrovsky

If they are automatic, then what does it matter what their name is? I'm not sure how you have your WF set up, but unless someone is using Change State and needs to read the Transition, I would have separate names just for clarity any way.

Tim Webb

Good morning Laura,

Is your question referring to 3 transitions between two states all with the same name? See the image below.

multiple workflow transitions.JPG

If so, only one transition between two states can be activated during one state change. Even if the file reaches the "Pending Approval" state and loops back, only one transition can fire at one time.

The multiple transitions with the same name makes it so the user will see one transition name in the "Change State" menu command and force EPDM to rely on logic setup in the transitions to let the file through. This logic can be based on a checkbox value, card variable value, name of person transitioning, etc.

It is my understanding that if all 3 of your transitions don't have logic on them so that all 3 transitions will essentially allow the file through, then EPDM chooses which transition to fire and I'm not sure how EPDM makes that selection.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Laura Whittle

Thanks that does help.

Basically if I want this to work, I would have to make a transistion for every configuration of variables?

I have 10 department check boxes, 1 could be checked or all 10 could be checked and any combination inbetween. I want an email sent to each department checked. So that would be a lot of transistions!

Corey Hinman

I've done something similar in the past. I basically had a data card with 5 different departments where approvals were needed, with one approver per department.

Each department had a workflow that said is this person A? If yes, email and continue, if not go to person B? If person B, email and continue, etc. The files would go through the workflow for each department.

Now I do something with Dispatch....see old post.

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/305390#305390

Tim Webb

Yes.

I have used this in the past. The "no kidding" way to ensure the emails get sent is to do one of the following:

1. Michael's suggestion, dynamic email notification
                              2. 10 automatic transitions that use the checkbox sends email to a group and unchecks their box, loopback and iterate through all transitions with an automatic transition to get out of the loop when all checkboxes are unchecked. Much like Corey's suggestion.
                              3. Write an addin to handle email notifications. I have lots of source code on this one but recommend using this as a last resort.

Lastly, I have found relying on people to check their email notifications has an inherent failure potential and is a "relative" status. People might miss the email, lose track of it buried deep in their inbox if they get more than 40 emails per day, and doesn't really provide a consolidated "actual" live status system.

I have switched to relying on saved searches and dashboards for live status so the players involved know what's on their to-do list each day and they can whittle away at it until its done. No pun intended.

Either way you go, let us know how it turns out.

Tim