8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 11:54 AM by Ryan McCauley

eDrawings loading from Network

Ryan McCauley

I'm wanting to do a test for our guys in the shop to replace printing drawing packets to build machines. I bought eDrawings Pro as it says it can load from the network but I can't figure out how to do this. I know you can use dropbox but this would NOT meet the requirement of improving upon prints and updating prints. Since eDrawings can use .dwg/sldprt/sldasm then I need to be able to make a change on a drawing and the guys in the shop to be able to open the most recent .dwg. We also need markups which only Pro provides but this also saves straight into the .dwg so the engineers could go in, make the change, and remove the markup.

This would significantly improve our process, thoughts?

• Re: eDrawings loading from Network
          Anna Wood

What do you have eDwgs installed on?

Cheers,

Anna

Ryan McCauley

I have eDrawings Pro on my iPad.

Anna Wood

Google 'open network file from iPad'

You need an app to access your network.  Then browse to the files in that app and open eDrawings from there.

Cheers,

Anna

Ryan McCauley

So if someone does that and then marks up the drawing, does it save over the original file or create a new one somewhere else?

Anna Wood

Probably depends on the app.  You are going to need to read up on the apps and try it out for yourself.  There are a number of hits for you to read through on the google search I suggested. 

Personally I would be buying Windows Surface Pro's with an Intel CPU and full blown Windows 8. Then you have full computer functionality on a tablet.

FWIW,

Anna

Ryan McCauley

I'll have to look around for apps, but eDrawings specifically states Network and hence why I've purchased eDrawings Pro. Looks like its false advertising as eDrawings Pro itself can NOT load from networks as advertised. Since I'd be using another app, I wouldn't be able to make a change in eDrawings Pro and it be reflected on the actual drawing so this won't fit our customer requirements. Thanks for the help though!

John Burrill

Ryan, loading on the network is an ambiguous terms.  It could refer to running the application from a server, loading documents from across your lan or displaying files from a hosting service.  Which one are you trying to do and what does the language of the advertising that you've based your purchase on say exactly?  Second, is this edrawings for the iPad-which is like $9.99 or the $995 full version for the PC or MAC?  If it's the pro version than it wasn't designed to be natively installed on your iPad-which means you need a terminal or hosting server to run it on your ipad.  If it's the iPad version you need a way to issue the device a DHCP token or serve the files through a web page, so that's why you need an add-on app.

Now about drawing mark-up.  Edrawings Pro for the PC will save the mark-ups in the CAD file if the file is a native Solidworks model or drawing.  So that's sldprt, slddrw and sldasm.  Otherwise, when you go to save the file, Solidworks will prompt you to create an edrawings file.  So you're DXF's and DWG's aren't going to have the mark-ups in them when they open-again, if the iPad version works the same way as the PC version.

Ryan McCauley

Its the iPad version so the wording from the app store, our PC's use SW Premium via network license. The best solution here is from Anna Wood by getting a Windows 8 Pro tablet. Not sure we'd be able to purchase one as we'd need to install SW which takes up a license but we'd at least be able to run draftsight which markups could be done in and save in the .dwg format. iPad & network app would work fine if we didn't need to save markups.

Thanks for the help Anna & John!